Pullets?

ivyboo

Songster
5 Years
Apr 28, 2017
Toledo, Ohio
I picked up some chicks at a farm store. I bought all pullets. However, with the way a few are acting I’m beginning to wonder. Can someone help me confirm? These are both supposed to be EE. I will get more pics of the others and post.

Attachments

• 237BE2A9-3B7D-4E55-B432-6C81F58967E6.jpeg
    237BE2A9-3B7D-4E55-B432-6C81F58967E6.jpeg
    638.9 KB · Views: 14
  • D997BF6C-F1E1-4B53-A516-25724889C7D0.jpeg
    D997BF6C-F1E1-4B53-A516-25724889C7D0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
I hope this helps! Definitely works. Also, the individual feathers where they meet the skin will be short, long, short for a hen, and the same length for a rooster.

Attachments

• how-to-sex-a-chicken.jpg
    how-to-sex-a-chicken.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 11
They are to young yet to see saddle or hackle feathers, and i have never had that wing growth test actually work.
The first clue to roosters is that the comb will pink up earlier than the other girls, and then compare the size of legs and feet. The boys will have thicker legs and a longer middle toe. This is much easier when all your chicks are the same breed and age.

They are to young yet to see saddle or hackle feathers, and i have never had that wing growth test actually work.
The first clue to roosters is that the comb will pink up earlier than the other girls, and then compare the size of legs and feet. The boys will have thicker legs and a longer middle toe. This is much easier when all your chicks are the same breed and age.
Really on the test? Works wonderfully for me, plus that's how hatcheries do it. 🤔

It d
Wow, i have never heard that.
i understood hatcheries vent sexed the chicks before they are hours old.
Way before any feathers of any kind have grown in.
I will research.
It doesn't take feathers if they are young enough to have down. Like when they are just born, you can tell by the wing...starts? Like the hard part on the end of a quill pen. Not sure of the name.
Once the feathers come in, this method is slightly harder and thus feather sexing is better.

Back
Top Bottom