Pulling a fast one on broody duck?

rubyrogue

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
This is my first time with a broody duck..... and I have the bruises to prove it. I was wondering if I could "fake" her out like I do my broody hens? With my hens I slip chicks under them after a couple of weeks. I have never had a hen reject the new babies. Will this work on ducks to or is it a no go?

This is my first time with a broody duck..... and I have the bruises to prove it. I was wondering if I could "fake" her out like I do my broody hens? With my hens I slip chicks under them after a couple of weeks. I have never had a hen reject the new babies. Will this work on ducks to or is it a no go?
What breed is she? I'll be watching to hear if others have had sucess doing this.

She is a mix, mostly blue swedish I think but not sure.....
Well I give her at least 2to 21/2 weeks of sitting before trying it. The reason I say this is it took my muscovies at least a week to get serious, they would sit on their eggs at night but get off in the morning and stay off all day to return and sit in the night time again this went on for about a week before they got down to serious business. 28 days for most ducks 35 for scovies so at least 2 weeks or longer.

Back
Top Bottom