pump for duck pond

Definitely following might have to do one of these one day kiddie pool is just not big enough do you know anyone here that has a diy on making the pond from beginning to end?
I don't know the answer to that question I have never looked for one personally. But googling will turn up tons of ideas. Definately query for duck ponds as it really sounds like they produce loads of "particulate" waste.

I was really wanting to go the koi route at one time in life, but never owned the land to dig a hole, but did much reading on the subject as a young dreamer.

@blayt90 One additional thoughtmthat might be of use to you is I would drill sludge drainout valves into the bottom of those 55 gallon drums. I'm betting those would serve you well over time.

Unless you plan on using a dedicated particulate filtration system, which I believe you do have plans for. I just think you will still have some fine sediments settling over time and going anaerobic.

Last edited:
@AllenK RGV Update: I have had to change my pump due to the fine screen on the pump I had and also the motor stopped running(burnt out the start capacitor). I bought this septic pump from Harbor Freight Tools. It has worked great says it will handle up to 2” solids. I also put it on a timer to run for 4 hours at sundown.
6CD53F19-5851-41C8-904A-65A219A0EC89.png

Another issue I ran into was the pump was picking up the grit rocks that passed through my ducks and was clogging up the 1” valve to my filter. I am still trying to figure out a good fix for this. Possibly plum in another drum that is piped in and out with the top still intact. To use as a heavy sediment drum.

Last edited:
My pump running.
seems like you should be turning one pond volume per hour with that size of pump, would that be a correct assumption? If so why not add a sand filter that you can buy or order through the nearest pool store? Leslies is down here and probably has a cheap one to clear up up the algae green pond water(and you can backflush those to clean). That or watch craigslist for someone asking to have their above ground pool removed.
Please do not get me wrong I do like what you are doing here. It is obvious your ducks are happy regardless of how the humans feel. My wife would be upset with me for having a green pond.

Best wishes!

seems like you should be turning one pond volume per hour with that size of pump, would that be a correct assumption? If so why not add a sand filter that you can buy or order through the nearest pool store? Leslies is down here and probably has a cheap one to clear up up the algae green pond water(and you can backflush those to clean). That or watch craigslist for someone asking to have their above ground pool removed.
Please do not get me wrong I do like what you are doing here. It is obvious your ducks are happy regardless of how the humans feel. My wife would be upset with me for having a green pond.

Best wishes!
Mine does not care about my ducks or anything to do with them.

Best wishes!

I hope you all don’t mind........ but I was given this sand filter. I plan on buying a pump but I would like to get the right one. I have the tubing that came with it.

12D92577-5E83-4BFD-BCC9-6C273CE5D5F8.jpeg

I bought a koi pond filter and it doesn’t get anywhere close to keeping up.

BF3AB074-91D7-4032-85EF-939DB7EA35EC.jpeg

My duck pool now is about 200 gallons. I have 6 ducks at the moment who can go in the pool whenever they feel like it.

Also, how would you keep the nitrates from accumulating?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom