pump for duck pond

Ammonia is converted to nitrates, both are toxic in high levels for fish and pond plants. Sweet pdz is a mineral called zeolite. It absorbs ammonia and slowly releases it as nitrogen. You want to remove it so it doesn’t dump it back into the pond. It can be reused after flushing and drying. I don’t do the salt water method myself. I have clay soil and use it in garden, flower beds after. Great soil amendment. Water plants help a lot also. There are ones duck don’t like much. Tougher stemmed cat tail and rushes. Mints, and water cress have such strong flavors they tend to leave them alone,

Water hyacinth is a great water cleaner, the ducks will eat it all eventually. One fix, if your handy is to make a cage for the water hyacinth out of pvc and netting. Put floats around cage and fill with plants. As they multiply take out extras and toss in with ducks.

I’m not very computer savvy. But if you google water hyacinth cage, you can find pictures. Sorry I don’t know how from web to this site. It will take up space but they reproduce rapidly. They don’t like cold, even in southern ca, they are annuals.

Yeah I personally would use plants or water changes(to garden method) it does make a great fertilizer to remove the eventual nitrogen based buildup. Regarding sizing the pump for the sand filter it really depends on the pond size. OP is using a sump or sewage pump to get particulates moving out. If it is a small pond I would use a small pool pump as those can take some debris. Sand filters are nice because they can be back flushed to blow out the gunk after you give it a run.

Back
Top Bottom