Purchasing advice gold laced Wyandotte

Crofters Quail

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 28, 2015
Brisbane, Australia
I’m about to purchase my first flock of gold laced Wyandottes: 5 young hens plus a rooster. I’m purchasing in Brisbane Australia from a private seller. What questions should I ask and what should I look for in the chickens to make sure they are healthy and a wise choice? I’m not planning to show them but just want a nice healthy flock for my kids with a view to fresh eggs and later maybe raising chicks.

We live on 17 acres in Redland bay..hubby has made a large snake proof hen house with snake proof mesh going down vertically into the ground but he has not laid snake proof mesh horizontally under the ground as I asked him to. He says we don’t need it! I worry that foxes or whatever may be able to burrow underneath. Do you think this is a problem or am I just over protective? I’m most thankful for any advice!

I don't think you could ever overbuild for security. :D
As far as looking at the chickens - clear eyes, nice feathers, no hunched over chickens. The feathers could be molting though, so you should know the differences. I don't know when chickens molt in Australia, but here, they are in different stages of molting. If I didn't know what it was, I might think its a disease or parasite. See what their housing/living conditions are. You want to see alert and inquisitive chickens.
I always ask if there are any known issues to see how they answer. But, I am fairly new to chickens. Just not new to how people react when they aren't fully truthful. ;)
Do you have chickens now?
Do you have pics of the wyandottes? Once you get there - if the chickens look nothing like the pics - just say no. I've seen some chickens listed with pics that are just pics from the internet- not true pics of the chickens listed.
Also, I imagine you are having conversations with the seller, listen to your gut, do you trust what they have told you so far?
Also, something I've recently read and thought so true - don't take chickens you feel sorry for. You will get more than you bargained for.
I think @Mrs. K said that in one of her posts.
Good luck!

I don't think you could ever overbuild for security. :D
As far as looking at the chickens - clear eyes, nice feathers, no hunched over chickens. The feathers could be molting though, so you should know the differences. I don't know when chickens molt in Australia, but here, they are in different stages of molting. If I didn't know what it was, I might think its a disease or parasite. See what their housing/living conditions are. You want to see alert and inquisitive chickens.
I always ask if there are any known issues to see how they answer. But, I am fairly new to chickens. Just not new to how people react when they aren't fully truthful. ;)
Do you have chickens now?
Do you have pics of the wyandottes? Once you get there - if the chickens look nothing like the pics - just say no. I've seen some chickens listed with pics that are just pics from the internet- not true pics of the chickens listed.
Also, I imagine you are having conversations with the seller, listen to your gut, do you trust what they have told you so far?
Also, something I've recently read and thought so true - don't take chickens you feel sorry for. You will get more than you bargained for.
I think @Mrs. K said that in one of her posts.
Good luck!

Very many thanks,

My experience is with quail so it is the first time I’m buying chickens. I really appreciate your advice.

Thanks again

Yes , hubby needs to run the skirt at least a foot on the ground. You don’t have to dig it in, just lay it in the ground add a scoop of dirt if you want but the grass will grow threw and hold it down ...you can pin it down too

Good luck with your purchase ,
Breeders don’t want to let you in , but I insist on seeing the living conditions they are raised in . I had one want me to take the box in the driveway !! No no I had clean shoes( bio security ) and got the tour

hubby has made a large snake proof hen house with snake proof mesh going down vertically into the ground but he has not laid snake proof mesh horizontally under the ground as I asked him to. He says we don’t need it! I
If he as already trenched the mesh in a foot or more, you don't need the apron. If it's not at least a foot, I would go ahead and install an apron around the perimeter.

Back
Top Bottom