Pure bred flocks vs mixed flocks - pros and cons please!

He's just gone to a new flock. I re-home boys every year because I let my girls hatch every year. It's part of the flock management everyone who keeps chickens deals with.
Ah sorry, I got confused by his being drenched and covered in blood - I understand now than Junior must have caused this damage to the older rooster, not Junior being injured and dying!

I know rehoming the boys is part of dealing with flock management, along with getting new ones in to refresh the genetics etc. Glad he made it, and hope he's enjoying pastures and ladies new :)

Last edited:
That would be fun! And learning all about genes / genetics at the same time. I'm still undecided about having a cockerel atm, but would like to incubate some next year - either in a 'bator or under a broody.... too many exciting possibilities!!
Mixed flocks are fun, especially when it comes to hatching the eggs from them. They're like a box of chocolates sometimes with the babies.

The only con, I can see with a mixed flock(Depending on how many of the same breed, & whether rooster is the same breed, or not), is the chance of getting a purebred from them will be either really low, really high, or not likely at all.

Example: I have a flock that's got lots of Malays, a couple Silkie Roosters, & an EE Rooster.
There's a total of 5 Malay Rooster/Cockerels, & 7 Malay Hens/Pullets.
Malays boys outnumber the 2 Silkies, & EE. So getting purebreds are more likely, but getting a few mixes will still happen, but it's not as high.

Other birds in this flock is: A Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock Hen, EE/Brahma cross Hen, Easter Egger Hen, Green Queen Hen, Olive Egger Hen, Blue Face/Oriental cross Hen, Marans/American Game X Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock Pullet, 2 Light Brahma Hens.

my experience is very similar to DobieLover's. The core pure breeds are Swedish Flowers (S) and Penedesencas (P), with assorted others past and present, and their hybrid offspring (H), which are sometimes very hard to tell apart from the pure breeds. They all get along fine, including the boys (4 of 6 in the photo here)

View attachment 3793001

There is one very clear advantage to having a mixed flock: it contains more genetic diversity than a single breed flock, so if a disease or other challenge comes along, there should be more resilience and a better survival rate. In addition, if you acquire a single breed flock from a single source, there is likely to be quite a lot of inbreeding depression already. Different breeds from different sources are also likely to produce more robust hybrid offspring.

Less important factors are, a lot of people find a mixed flock more attractive to watch, and it's much easier to tell birds apart of course if their plumage varies: I find it hard to distinguish between my practically identical Penedesenca hens.

That is an interesting point. I have heard about buying in hatching eggs (as opposed to pullets) to minimise bringing in disease, but had not considered the diverse gene pool provided by a range of hens and suppliers. One more factor that I will bear in mind; thank you for raising it. Choosing good breeders will be top of my priority list when the time comes.

You already have a lot of great responses. I'll just add one more pro for mixed flocks. The different colored eggs are a huge plus in my book. I love my beautiful egg basket. Also, I can always tell who is having a problem laying, or who has laid any particular day because they all lay different colored eggs.
This certainly appeals to my children! They want to know when 'their' chicken has laid an egg - and knowing from a health perspective appeals to me.

However, there are also many reports where people who keep two or more of a particular breed of those of the same breed sticking together. This doesn't mean the differing breeds don't manage to get along but chickens have and do show a preference for their own breed.

That's an interesting observation - and I can believe it. My dog loves a lot of other dog types - though not all (for example, she hates all Labradors). However, whenever we meet another dog of the same breed as her, she is definitely different with that dog. It's like she knows. So I can believe it.

My preferance would be to have a single breed group, preferably related.
A lot will depending on how you keep your chickens. Give them lots of room and issues tend to be less

Out of curiosity - if you would prefer a single breed group, which would you choose?

And may I ask, do you still keep a mixed flock or a single breed group?

And in risk of sounding really dumb (assume I am as new to this chicken game :confused:!)... what do you mean by breed group? Are some breeds classed together in a larger breed family? Or do you mean individual breeds, like Wyandottes or Orpingtons etc.

Thank you again

Pros of Mixed Flocks:
  • Mixed flocks offer more of a variety in each flock-you can collect a lot of colorful eggs, and their differing plumage color can make the sight of a flock more beautiful.
  • Hatching eggs from a mixed flock is interesting because it provides you with excitement of seeing how the chicks are going to look.
  • Different breeds are known for having different levels on the pecking order, and having a mixed flock can provide a good balance for the pecking order, as there will likely be some individuals of breeds known for being submissive and some individuals of breeds known to be dominant.
  • There will be more genetic diversity in a mixed flock, which means they will combat illness better.

Cons of Mixed Flocks:
  • Not all breeds are to be in mixed flocks, as some can get picked on more easily and harmed by more dominant individuals as a result. An example would be Silkies, which should stay in a Silkie-only flock.
  • Chickens in general prefer to be with chickens that are their own breed. If they cannot find other members of the flock that are their own breed, they will form a group of individuals that are of the same or similar color.
  • When integrating new breeds to a mixed flock, you have to be sure to include multiple new individuals of one breed so they can have a group to hang out with, preferably of the same color variety because of the reason mentioned above.
  • Bantams and large fowl breeds should not be together in one flock, with notable exceptions. One exception would be that if the large fowl and bantams have been together since hatch and they have grown up together with no issue, although there is still risk in that. A more simple exception is the fact that a bantam rooster can go with large fowl hens with no problem, as long as the hens accept him. Never put a large fowl rooster with bantam hens, as he could easily injure them during breeding.

Last edited:
If you really wanted to hatch chicks then obtaining fertile eggs is easy and an incubator would be the way to go as attempting to plan a bird brooding and your timeline of hatching rarely go hand in hand.

That is a good point - one I had not considered! :thumbsup and I also like the idea of seeing the chicks develop; the children would really enjoy the experience/process (on the whole, I know it can be an emotional ride!) and hopefully getting them tamer as a result.

Well bred birds are far nicer to my eye to see ranging than a motley crew of misfits. But that's me and my eye to what is beautiful. A well bred flock of one breed, even if all black or all white, is striking to behold.

I get this! I do love all chickens in general, but enjoying your birds and having a passion for them must really make it rewarding. Particularly if you are preserving heritage breeds. Well done

Pros of Mixed Flocks:
  • Mixed flocks offer more of a variety in each flock-you can collect a lot of colorful eggs, and their differing plumage color can make the sight of a flock more beautiful.
  • Hatching eggs from a mixed flock is interesting because it provides you with excitement of seeing how the chicks are going to look.
  • Different breeds are known for having different levels on the pecking order, and having a mixed flock can provide a good balance for the pecking order, as there will likely be some individuals of breeds known for being submissive and some individuals of breeds known to be dominant.
  • There will be more genetic diversity in a mixed flock, which means they will combat illness better.

Cons of Mixed Flocks:
  • Not all breeds are to be in mixed flocks, as some can get picked on more easily and harmed by more dominant individuals as a result. An example would be Silkies, which should stay in a Silkie-only flock.
  • Chickens in general prefer to be with chickens that are their own breed. If they cannot find other members of the flock that are their own breed, they will form a group of individuals that are of the same or similar color.
  • When integrating new breeds to a mixed flock, you have to be sure to include multiple new individuals of one breed so they can have a group to hang out with, preferably of the same color variety because of the reason mentioned above.

Thank you for your insight! It's really helpful hearing the same themes come up from multiple members :)

The pecking order comment is a good point. Sounds like I need to do more homework as to which breeds will work together in a small flock (5 or so hens).:caf

Thank you for your insight! It's really helpful hearing the same themes come up from multiple members :)

The pecking order comment is a good point. Sounds like I need to do more homework as to which breeds will work together in a small flock (5 or so hens).:caf
You're welcome! I forgot to mention that bantams and large fowl should not be put together unless there are exceptions. Let me edit that.

Back
Top Bottom