Purebred Ameraucana B/B/S Hatching Eggs

I just wanted to say my eggs arrived today and the packing job was excellent. Not a single broken egg! Also your eggs are a lovely shade of blue
1f601.png
. Thank you!

What kind of incubator you are using and have you tested the temperature against multiple thermometers to see if it's holding the correct temperature? Also, did you incubate other eggs at the same time with these Ameraucana eggs? Please fill me in with what you feel may have happened. I can guarantee you that fertility is not the issue. I have been sending out a lot of eggs this year and am hearing great responses from their hatches. And please explain what you seen when you opened the eggs. Does "nothing resembling a chick" mean there was a yucky blob that didn't develop right or they were all clear like an egg you buy from the store? Maybe I can help you figure out what the problem is.

What kind of incubator you are using and have you tested the temperature against multiple thermometers to see if it's holding the correct temperature? Also, did you incubate other eggs at the same time with these Ameraucana eggs? Please fill me in with what you feel may have happened. I can guarantee you that fertility is not the issue. I have been sending out a lot of eggs this year and am hearing great responses from their hatches. And please explain what you seen when you opened the eggs. Does "nothing resembling a chick" mean there was a yucky blob that didn't develop right or they were all clear like an egg you buy from the store? Maybe I can help you figure out what the problem is.

I had a similar issue. I had 22 Ameraucana eggs shipped from Washington to New York from a different breeder. Only 2 developed, nothing at all happened in the rest. One of those eggs quit and the last had a saddle shaped air cell and never hatched. When I opened it up the chic died before fully absorbing the yolk. I had a few of my egg in the bator and they all developed. I think it was circumstances of shipping across the country.

I don't doubt the fertility. None of them were clear. I am using a Little Giant incubator, and this was my first batch. I wasn't incubating any other eggs, but I was turning them manually, so this wasn't the best of circumstances, I imagine. I have another batch from another flock that I put in the other day, but I invested in an automatic turner. Hopefully I will have better luck. I think after this I am going to stick with live chicks. I don't suppose you ship live chicks? I really would like to have some of yours.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I didn't know you had posted. I thought they always send you an e-mail. Is your incubator a still air or does it have a fan? I'm pretty sure if it is a still air you need to set it at a higher temperature. Something like 102 I think, but I would double check with the manufacturer. Turning them by hand shouldn't be a problem as long as your hands are clean (no lotions) and you're not cooling the eggs off too much, too often. Just crack the lid open enough to get your hand in to turn them. But even then, it's good to let them air once a day as though the hen jumped off to grab a quick bite and drink. I'm trying to think of what else could be an issue. Is the incubator sitting in a drafty area that makes it hard to keep a steady temperature? What did the eggs look like when you opened them? I mean how far developed were they?

I DO ship chicks sometimes, but I wouldn't be able to right now and it would probably be too hot to ship by the time I could. If you'd like to try to incubate some more of my eggs, I will send you some if you'll pay the shipping. I'd like to see you get a good hatch. It's all a learning progress and you'll learn as you go. But if your incubator is a still air, that makes it more difficult. I will check this post tomorrow sometime. If you'll send me a PM, maybe it'll send me an e-mail so I'll know you responded. I'm not real sure how this all works.

Back
Top Bottom