Purina layena crumbles

LarryH

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 5, 2013
I recently bought four five month old hens and put them in the coop with my two remaining nine week olds. The lady at the feed store said I could feed them all the food mentioned above. When I went to the Purina web site it said not to feed this food until 18 weeks. Does anyone know if this is okay for my nine week olds? I had been feeding them the start and feed.

Another case of a feed store worker not being informed and/or handing out information off the cuff just to make a sale.

No, follow the guidance on the bag/website from Purina. 9 week old birds should not be eating layer, which is merely grower, BUT, it is laced with high amounts of calcium. Only a laying hen can expel that calcium. In a chick, that calcium builds up in their renal system causing gout and other issues.

Feed everyone Grower, or Raiser and any other "all flock" feed. Provide your layers with a calcium source, like shells, that only they will have much of an appetite for.

Last edited:
I have a new question. One of my five and a half month old hens is pooping a runny caramel colored poop. I think it is my Wheaton Americana. All the rest seem to be normal. This has been going on now for a week or more. Any suggestions?

Not sure what is causing the off color droppings. Defineitely do not feed them the layer before they start laying. I find they waste less feed with the pellets. The crumbles they spilled just layed there but they will pickup the pellets.

I am feeding the flock raiser crumbles and when they start to lay I will add oysters shells.

Another case of a feed store worker not being informed and/or handing out information off the cuff just to make a sale.

No, follow the guidance on the bag/website from Purina. 9 week old birds should not be eating layer, which is merely grower, BUT, it is laced with high amounts of calcium. Only a laying hen can expel that calcium. In a chick, that calcium builds up in their renal system causing gout and other issues.

Feed everyone Grower, or Raiser and any other "all flock" feed. Provide your layers with a calcium source, like shells, that only they will have much of an appetite for.

Solid advise.

Back
Top Bottom