Purina layer chicken feed- I wouldn't recommend

Fluffy_Feathers

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2017
Missouri
So we got Purina feed. Never gave it to them before, but sometimes we get to a store and pick up what they have if the chickens need feed. We got this at a new farm and home store in my town. This stuff was... not great, to say the least.

I open the bag and there is just a TON of dust. I've never seen so much dust in a bag of chicken feed. But I gave it to them, and then I noticed they began to have diarrhea. At night when they're on the roost there's always a healthy mix of solids and more liquid poops. After using this chicken feed, there was not a solid poop to be found in there. They didn't act any different, and I gave them a couple days to adjust, thinking maybe it was just a different feed their body wasn't used to. But it didn't clear up.

So, I sifted out the dust. The dust made up a little over 1/3 OF THE BAG. Almost HALF. While I was sifting I also found 2 big blocks of not-yet-crumbled feed, which isn't that big of a deal I guess but it would clog up their feeder, and the fact that there was a bunch of dust and then I find that just added onto the fact that this feed was really low quality. Anyway, I figured maybe it was the dust. But nope, they still had diarrhea even without the dust. I gave them their usual feed and now their poops are fine.

So I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but I just wanted to give a review of it. I mean, how do you mess up THAT badly??

Would you mind specifying which formula of Purina you're talking about? I'm a huge fan of Purina's Flock Raiser and their chick starter, but I do not care for any of the others. I tried their layer formula a few years ago, and everything was fine for several months; then they started adding way more molasses, and my birds wouldn't eat it. If that's still the case, it's possible your birds have a sensitivity to molasses, or at least the amount Purina uses. If you still have the feed sack, you might consider reaching out to Purina about it.

Wow maybe it’s just the batch? I’ve fed Purina layena for about 2 years with no issues.
Maybe you're right, just the batch or like nuthatched said the bottom of the hopper. Sounds like nobody else has had this problem with Purina so maybe this was just a 1 time thing and I got unlucky lol

Back
Top Bottom