Purple Comb, Hen Not Doing Well

Gasping means an abrupt intake of air. You can hear it. Place your ear next to her head as she opens and closes her beak. Do you hear a sudden intake of breath? This is very important. Stress gaping is not of any concern. Gasping due to a pulmonary issue is important. Another type of beak gaping is when a chicken extends the neck when gaping due to discomfort from a crop issue. This needs to be investigated and treated.

The chicken in the above video may be gaping due to discomfort from a crop issue.
She had a respiratory infection the chicken in the video. That’s my chicken it was a while ago and she recovered with antibiotics. It started small and then got like that and then worse. She also had the symptoms of the OP that’s why I asked.

Gasping means an abrupt intake of air. You can hear it. Place your ear next to her head as she opens and closes her beak. Do you hear a sudden intake of breath? This is very important. Stress gaping is not of any concern. Gasping due to a pulmonary issue is important. Another type of beak gaping is when a chicken extends the neck when gaping due to discomfort from a crop issue. This needs to be investigated and treated.

The chicken in the above video may be gaping due to discomfort from a crop issue.
I listened and it must be from stress.

Her comb color has improved some, so the electrolytes do appear to be helping. She's not drinking on her own from a bowl like she did yesterday. I boiled her some rice with an egg and she did eat a little of that this morning. She's becoming less active. I left for a couple of hours today and when I came back, she hadn't moved at all. I gave her some more electrolytes through a syringe (she liked drinking from the syringe) and tried getting her to eat something, but she wouldn't, not even her favorite treat.

Are you up for trying tube feeding? It's a safe, fast way to get food and fluids into her. Syringing can take forever, and it may be of more help to get nutrients into her quickly. Sometimes, food and fluids can produce a very impressive turn-around.

Molt can affect some chickens very badly. Many lose their appetites and some quit eating and get very weak. Once a chicken gets this weak, they lose all will to eat. Getting food and fluids into them can sometimes produce miraculous results.

She passed away during the night. I found her dead this morning. :hit:hit :hit

Thank you for all the help you all provided. Even though she still passed away, I'm thankful that I had all of your help to try saving her. :hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom