Put late hatching chick with other chicks in brooder, they attacked her now she's falling over and.not using one leg much.

Jul 16, 2022
This chick hatched 48 hours after all the others, I let her stay in the incubator for 24 hours then attempted to put her in the brooder with the others, they immediately attacked her, she is now falling over when she attempts to stand up and walk. She can move the leg. I immediately took her back out, if I hadn't, they would have killed her.
I can't see anything visible that isn't right. I've put her back in the incubator and crossing my fingers she'll feel better tomorrow.

Is it injured? Picture and/or video of her walking/falling ... To post a video you first need to post on YouTube then from there to here. It's probably shaken, if you have some Nurti Drench, place a drop to its beak about 3x day.

How many other chicks are there? How are you brooding, in house? Heat source?
You may try again IF this chick isn't injured ... You could try at night when it's dark but hang around to monitor for awhile. OR you could corner off the brooder so this one will have the company of the others but safe, having it's own food/water source .... See but no touch introduction for a few weeks but sometimes longer.

Hopefully this singleton wasn't injured :hugs

You cannot see any visible injuries however it was walking fine when I put her in the brooder but then heard them having an argument and saw them attacking her so I whipped her out quick then discovered she was injures.
There are 8 other chicks, all alot larger than her. They are in the house in a brooder at present with a heat plate.
She doesn't even manage to lay down correctly, stretches the injured leg out straight then can't get up again. She is able to move it though.

I currently have her in a cup with paper in the bottom in a incubator and have given her raw egg yolk with b vitamins added in as I don't have nutridrenchn or able to get anything similar. I am going to give her some honey water soon.

Attachments

• 20230419_070527.jpg
    20230419_070527.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230419_070505.jpg
    20230419_070505.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230419_070522.jpg
    20230419_070522.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230419_070455.jpg
    20230419_070455.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230416_000917.jpg
    20230416_000917.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 2
You won't be able to add it to the rest at this point.
Does it move both legs independently on it's own?
You say "stretches the injured leg out straight then can't get up again. She is able to move it though" ... Is it just one leg or both that it does this?
Is it eating on its own or are you having to feed it?
In the 3rd picture, the toes are curled, did you put it in this stance and the toes got curled or is it doing this on its own?

It's very likely it may have a Vitamin deficiency ... Riboflavin. What kind of Vitamin Bs are you feeding? Are you able to get Poultry Booster? PolyVisol without the Iron?

It is just one leg she stretches out like this. When I put my finger near her toes she curls them round my fingers except one toe which seems to be limp. Bruising has developed on one side of her head, I expect where the other chicks were pecking her.

Yes she moves both legs independently and does walk a little but is now starting to walk on her hocks.

She is not eating or drinking on her own unless I'm holding her when sometimes she will drink but more often or not I'm syringing drops of electrolyte I have made onto her beak. I have been dipping her beak into egg yolk that I have added brewers yeast into. The egg yolk and brewers yeast have good amounts of various vitamins and minerals but especially the b vitamins.

Yesterday morning she seemed to have far more use of her legs and feet than she did last night. I put her in a cup in an incubator so she stood upright and used the legs, that kept her legs in a better position however she does have the strength to get out of the cup. Today she had started shaking her head and has an occasional gasp.

I think she is on her way out bless her.

You won't be able to add it to the rest at this point.
Does it move both legs independently on it's own?
You say "stretches the injured leg out straight then can't get up again. She is able to move it though" ... Is it just one leg or both that it does this?
Is it eating on its own or are you having to feed it?
In the 3rd picture, the toes are curled, did you put it in this stance and the toes got curled or is it doing this on its own?

It's very likely it may have a Vitamin deficiency ... Riboflavin. What kind of Vitamin Bs are you feeding? Are you able to get Poultry Booster? PolyVisol without the Iron?
No I didn't put her in that stance she does it all by herself 😢.
I have now bought Vitamin b complex strong, have ground up the tablets, mixed it with a little homemade electrolyte mix and am trying to drop a little on her beak or dip her beak in it.
Bless her I think she's given up.

No I didn't put her in that stance she does it all by herself 😢.
I have now bought Vitamin b complex strong, have ground up the tablets, mixed it with a little homemade electrolyte mix and am trying to drop a little on her beak or dip her beak in it.
Bless her I think she's given up.
So sorry - I think that's what happened to mine. I had a late runt that was shrink wrapped. I assisted with coconut oil and tweezers to get her out but she drug around her umbilical cord and half shell for quite some time so I ultimately snipped it off at the shell. She was completely dried off and lively and so I put her in the brooder. All seemed fine until I came back and found her dead. So sad.

So sorry you lost her, unfortunately I had to Euthanize mine, she was towards the end laying down, gasping, couldn't move and I couldn't let her suffer any longer. It upset me but at least she isn't suffering anymore. If I had of left her to suffer it could have been another day or two so I am pleased I spared her that.

Back
Top Bottom