Putting an injured chick back with her peeps

clinkski

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Waterbury Center, VT
One of my 5 week old chicks escaped from the crate and was severly pecked by my year old hens. She is making an amazing recovery but I'd like to get her back with the other 5 week old peeps as soon as possible. We have been applying neosporin and the back of head is healing really well. Do I have to wait for the feathers to grow back before I can put her back with the chicks? Can I put Blu-Kote on the back of her head until the feathers grow back? Do you think the other 3 will gang up on her no mater what? It's been a week since the attack and I hate keeping her isolated for much longer. HELP!!!

Also, can we give her a bath and if. so, how do we go about that task?

Last edited:
as long as there is not a red spot or blood the will stop pecking as long as they have good nutrition and pest prevention. um blue kote is a bad idea dont do it. it will cause more pecking because the other birds will be attracted to it, i've tried it before . i had to take the injurted chick out in three seconds because they all went at it like it was a June bug!

I think I am going to try to intergrate the 3 remaining chicks with the big girls the end of August and then keep the injured chick in the separated room in the coop with her own food and water. The reason being that we are going on vacation for 2 weeks in September and I hate to leave her with all the others without being around. We will put her with the others when we return home. Does this seem reasonable? Or should we just try to put her back with the little ones and and then integrate all at once? I've never had an injured bird before so I'm not sure how to approach this whole mess.

Last edited:
I wouldn't add pullets in with adult hens until they are at least 12 weeks old and then the more u add at once the better. I would try to add the injured one back with the younger ones and wait til all grow together until about 12 weeks old then put with the other hens, a grown hen can do a lot of damage to a pullet that is too young. other than physical damage than can also over power and bully them away from food and water. I would just wait til the sore has heal on your young chick, then put her in with the other, if you have a bright light on them remove it because they can see better to pick. A red light works better for not picking. And you can give them some 18 percent protein grower to add to their protein levels sometimes they will peck because they don't have enough protein in there diet.

Thanks for the info. I was going to try to add them at 10 weeks but can wait until 12 weeks. If I do wait, we will be home for 2 weeks before we leave for vacation - that should be enogh time for them to all settle in, correct? I just don't want the abaysitter to find an ugly scene.

Back
Top Bottom