Putting Bletch in Chickens water?

Iloveourbabychick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
Hickory,NC
I'm worried about my fathers chickens.He heard some where that putting a cap full of bletch into the chickens water will get rid of parasites and mites....I dont thing hes very right in the head...Hes gonna do it and im affraid for his chickens..Is this right to do or what?
Thanks

I've heard of that for your incubator,but I wouldn't let the birds drink bleach.Better try ivomectin or wazine,piperzine.Bleach just doesn't sound right.
In N.H.,Tony.

Bletch? I guess we're assuming that's bleach. All it would do is chlorinate the water and kill things in the water not in the bird. Just like drinking chlorinated water doesn't really do anything for our health except keep the water cleaner. Chlorine isn't exactly healthy though and too much of it will cause problems. I'm actually glad to have nonchlorinated well water for myself and my animals and would never add bleach for them to drink. Try apple cider vinegar instead (not in a metal waterer). It has been shown to have lots of health benefits and is much safer than bleach.

I have heard of putting apple cider vinegar in the chickens water. What is it supposed to be good for and how much would you put in?

It helps to clean out their system.I think it is just a tablespoon.Cranberry juice is good for cleaning them out also.Just replace their water supply with it.
In N.H.,Tony.

I don't have the site handy but department of agriculture lists the use of unscented bleach. One ounce of ultra bleach added to one gallon of water for stock solution. And then once ounce of stock solution to one gallon of drinking water. Will not kill parasites in the birds but will kill bacteria in the water.

I used to use a very small amount in my 20 gal water tank when I had it to kill any bacteria in the tank.

i have put bleach in my chickens water for almost a year and it has helped them alot. It clears up any runny noses or parasite problems. it also kills any mosquitos that are trying to breed in the water. i put a little under a cap ful in a 5 gallon waterer, and little under half a cap in 1-2 gallons and if its a 3-4 gallons then half a cap. it really does work. and nothing has happened to them. and the person i found it out from is from arkansas and he has a big chicken farm with over 200 birds and he was told by a vet to put bleach in the water to avoid any diseases or parasites. so i dont think anything bad will happen to the chickens as long as you dont over do it.

chickens~galore

Back
Top Bottom