Putting chicks out in fall

cfko0531

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2022
I have four 8 week old wyandottes. Its about 60 during the day and between 30 to 40 degrees at night. Do they need supplemental heat? I have them separated from adult hens. Also when would you put them together? Thanks for any input

Welcome to BYC!! What is your setup? Are they on heat outside now or are they inside your home? Mine are out in my coop brooder room from day 2 or 3 no matter what time of year WITH a Mommy Heating Pad. This thread below is all about heating pads and plates. But at 8 weeks if they haven't already been on a pad or plate, there is no reason to introduce it now so you could use a ceramic bulb (safer alternative to the red hot heat lamps.) for nighttime. Your day temps sound fine. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-heavy-update.956958/page-1200#post-25969499

I moved them out 3 days ago. It has been warm enough for no heat light. They were in garage but mostly weaned from light except when it got below 45. Its going to go into 30s this weekend. I have a radiant coop heater. Should I ise it on cold nights? When would you completely stop heat? I raised my other girls in spring. It was so much easier.

When I think about when I have mine off heat completely in below freezing temps I think of about 9weeks. Knowing your temps are going down to freezing, if it's not a big deal to use the heat for a bit longer, then you're playing it safe. In just a few more weeks there will be no question that you're good to go. I have same temps where I am but it's super wet cold as opposed to dry so I tend to go longer than if I was in a dry climate.

I hear you and actually that's WHY I'm still here on BYC after 13years. I get nervous every time I have a batch of chicks, they are just so tiny at first and the pressure of making sure they have what they need to thrive sends me to that thread I posted above as a refresher and build my confidence. I started with them in a bedroom 20years ago but thanks to the more experienced people here on BYC like @Blooie, I then tried garage and ultimately outdoors. I've never lost one yet to cold. I truly think cold is less of an issue than hot.

You might read this article by someone that lives where it truly gets cold. They may have more credibility than I do in this.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

I've had chicks go through nights in the mid 20's Fahrenheit at 5-1/2 weeks old. Your 8 week olds should not have any problems at all with the temperatures you mentioned. I'll let you read that article to determine if you ever get cold enough so it does become a problem.

As far as integration, it is not just at what age do you put them together. There are different techniques you can use to make that process easier and more likely to succeed. How many you have in each age group and the size and configuration of your coop and runs play a big part in how you can manage it. Sometimes it is so easy you wonder what all the fuss and worry was about. Sometimes it is a disaster. The more we know about what you have to work with the more likely we can give specific advice suitable to your situation.

Last edited:
So my four 8 week old chicks have been separated in the run all week with thier own makeshift coop. A fence separates them. I let them mingle with my 5 full grown girls and there was a lot of chasing and pecking. My little ones just hid in corner and ran away. I tried it for half hour then worried they would get too stressed. Should i wait or keep trying?

Back
Top Bottom