Putting chicks under broody hen

lilcowmama

Songster
7 Years
Apr 9, 2016
Elk Grove, CA
Has anyone ever put baby chicks under a broody hen? I’ve hatched fertile eggs with my broody Orpington, but this time I’m thinking of putting baby chicks from the feed store under her. Any tips? TIA!

Has anyone ever put baby chicks under a broody hen? I’ve hatched fertile eggs with my broody Orpington, but this time I’m thinking of putting baby chicks from the feed store under her. Any tips? TIA!
Yes it can work sometimes with some hens and some chicks. I agree it's worth a try, but there are things to watch for too - and a plan B for sure.

For the best odds of success you want very young chicks, I'd try to get them at a feed store asap after they got their shipment. The longer that they've had a light or other source of heat other than a hen, and have lived without a mother, the less they'll understand about her being where to go for warmth. Some of those at a store may have been there a while before they get sold, with each day, they get more used to not having a mother.

Or, the hen may not accept the chicks. You want to be kind of close to when her clutch should have hatched. This isn't as critical as how many days old the chicks are, but I wouldn't try slipping some in on a hen that had been broody for only a week or so. Also, I'd try the swap in the night, just one chick at first and I'd watch a while. Any sign of aggression from her towards the chick, and I'd get it out immediately - plan B. If all seems to be going ok in ten or fifteen minutes, I'd leave them together in peace for a few hours. If she didn't peck at the chick in the first few minutes, you are probably doing alright, but if you come back in a few hours and she's being a good mother, she'll probably accept the rest too. If not, you will have a dead chick, that sucks but the rest are still ok - plan B. I'd also watch in the morning too, and any sign of any problems, I'd pull the chicks. I've probably given the impression that it seldom works, but that's not it at all. I'd say it often works and occasionally doesn't, but when it doesn't it can be a train wreck if you're not prepared for what could happen. You want to do all you can to prevent that and not upset your hen either.

Last edited:
I have out chicks under broody hens many times. The hen must have been broody for at least a week or more to accept chicks. Place the chicks under the hen at night in the dark. Remove eggs if there are any under the hen. This has worked for me numerous times.

And yes, the younger the chicks the better.

Maugwa has given accurate advice.

Last edited:
Yes it can work sometimes with some hens and some chicks. I agree it's worth a try, but there are things to watch for too - and a plan B for sure.

For the best odds of success you want very young chicks, I'd try to get them at a feed store asap after they got their shipment. The longer that they've had a light or other source of heat other than a hen, and have lived without a mother, the less they'll understand about her being where to go for warmth. Some of those at a store may have been there a while before they get sold, with each day, they get more used to not having a mother.

Or, the hen may not accept the chicks. You want to be kind of close to when her clutch should have hatched. This isn't as critical as how many days old the chicks are, but I wouldn't try slipping some in on a hen that had been broody for only a week or so. Also, I'd try the swap in the night, just one chick at first and I'd watch a while. Any sign of aggression from her towards the chick, and I'd get it out immediately - plan B. If all seems to be going ok in ten or fifteen minutes, I'd leave them together in peace for a few hours. If she didn't peck at the chick in the first few minutes, you are probably doing alright, but if you come back in a few hours and she's being a good mother, she'll probably accept the rest too. If not, you will have a dead chick, that sucks but the rest are still ok - plan B. I'd also watch in the morning too, and any sign of any problems, I'd pull the chicks. I've probably given the impression that it seldom works, but that's not it at all. I'd say it often works and occasionally doesn't, but when it doesn't it can be a train wreck if you're not prepared for what could happen. You want to do all you can to prevent that and not upset your hen either.

Thank you so much! This is very helpful and I appreciate your advice!

I have out chicks under broody hens many times. The hen must have been broody for at least a week or more to accept chicks. Place the chicks under the hen at night in the dark. Remove eggs if there are any under the hen. This has worked for me numerous times.

And yes, the younger the chicks the better.

Maugwa has given accurate advice.

Thank you! I appreciate your reply! She’s been broody for over a month now, so I’m hoping she will be more than ready for some babies!

I will keep you all posted! :)

I'm betting you have success, chickens all have different personalities, but Orppingtons are usually very good mothers - I've got four of them now, but I can't convince one to go broody for me. Good luck.
Thank you! She was a good mama the last time around and I’m hoping this time will be the same. I only have the one lavender Orpington and it seems she is broody every time I turn around!

Back
Top Bottom