PVC Feeder

ellie32526

Songster
10 Years
Oct 21, 2012
North Texas
I built two of those PVC feeders, one for outside and one for inside, but I'm worried that the one outside will get wet when it rains. Anyone have any suggestions on how to protect it from the rain? I don't have an overhang to put it under.

JimmyWalt,
Good eye, its actually double walled drain pipe.
The few pellets that do get knocked out are quickly eaten from the ground.
Heres that close up:

I cut the bottom flange off to give the hens easier access.

I bought all the supplies at homedepot, in their outdoor drainage section.

-4" double walled drain pipe
-90 degree, 4" elbow
-a 4" cap for the top
-a 4" down spout adapter
http://www.homedepot.com/p/NDS-2-in-x-3-in-x-4-in-Styrene-Offset-Down-Spout-Adapter-904/100377412?N=bv13#.UUvHSFsac

You will have to make an overhang for it. A little roof about ten to twelve inches above the feeder and extends about as far as it is high over the feeder in all directions. Doesn't have to protect completely as the chickens like moistened feed. Just have to watch that it doesn't get too much water in it

If they always have access to get inside to eat, then why worry about having a feeder outside?

I wouldn't worry too much about a feeder outside. One in the coop should be enough. You can always put a water bucket outside for them. That's what I do for my chickens. This way they always have access to water, and if they get hungry they can just go inside for food. In the Spring and Summer my chickens free range all day, and they just eat grass and bugs, then they eat some feed before going up on the roosts for bed. You shouldn't need more than just the one feeder inside
smile.png

Thank you all for your comments. I have decided to use the second PVC feeder I made for grit. I think until I design something to keep the rain out I will just use the feeders inside. Does it matter if grit gets wet? I would think insoluble grit would not be affected by rain.

So, we had a five pound feeder (steel construction) that our birds were just DUMPING into the coop. The scratched it everywhere, and we were filling their food maybe every other day. Decided to make these PVC feeders last week, and I am astounded at how clean the food has been, but how much they are no longer wasting! These were tool-free feeders. I just bough a five foot PVC pipe, cut it in half at Lowe's (they used a saw), bought the 45 degree wye connector, a cap for the top, and a few add ons for the bottom. Couldn't find a cap that worked.

I also attached them with industrial velcro to the wall of the coop, and then used a small block of wood to set them on. Ended up being able to wedge them between the top of the coop and the bottom, with the velcro. LOVE it.

\

Back
Top Bottom