PVC pip tractors.

AJDots

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 16, 2013
Kansas
I used to live in town but now I've moved out into the country and I'm really looking into making tractors for my rabbits and maybe some fowl as I get them.

I have three heavy metal cages but I need more and I can't find the same material anywhere.

I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about the PVC tractors, the PVC is probably fine but what about the wire? Has anyone used these? and how have they done for you at keeping your flocks/animals safe?

If you are going to use PVC, paint it to shield it from the sun. I would use welded wire on the tractor, definitely not chicken wire. And shut them into the closed area at night. Good luck.

Hey there! I have not personally used PVC tractors, but I have used cages and other things to pasture my rabbits and birds. I live in west Texas and we have really bad wind here quite often so I never tried to keep my fowl in PVC tractors as they would be too flimsy. I would suggest doing a basic wood frame tractor with some decent wiring. Just my $.02 :)

Blessings -

~ Aspen

Hey there! I have not personally used PVC tractors, but I have used cages and other things to pasture my rabbits and birds. I live in west Texas and we have really bad wind here quite often so I never tried to keep my fowl in PVC tractors as they would be too flimsy. I would suggest doing a basic wood frame tractor with some decent wiring. Just my $.02 :)

Blessings -

~ Aspen

I see a lot of people use wood, and while I know its a really good renewable resource I find myself trying to avoid using is with cages. Rabbit urine will soak into the wood, they'll also chew right through it so I've liked the metal cages for that reason.
Some of my rabbits will chew through a bit of plastic too but with a rounded pipe, it should be harder for them to do.
That being said with a tractor I need something light enough that I could move it myself and the last wood tractor we built was anything but, we needed 4 people just to move it..

The PVC cages seem to be light enough to move on your own but As you said seem a little to flimsy for what I want.

The only other ideas I've got is to buy the wire panels for 41$ apiece, which is not quite what my other cages are like but might be sturdy enough to do the job.

Back
Top Bottom