Pyncheon Problem

graciel57

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Hi, I was just looking for information on my Pyncheons. I had a young male chick earlier this spring that went down in the legs when he was maybe 4-6 weeks old. I thought at the time he had brained himself on the top of the brooder, waited him out and after a couple of weeks, he was better. Later on, maybe three weeks later, he went down again and I culled him. Figured it was just some freak thing.

This morning, in separate brooder boxes, a pullet and a rooster of about the same age---4-6 weeks--- are both down in the legs. All three of these birds were raised inside on wire. They've never been on the ground or exposed to adult chickens, and this has only hit Pyncheons, and I raise a lot of other breeds. Both birds are in good shape, otherwise.

Is there any known neurological problem with Pyncheons? This has me stumped. I don't believe it's a coincidence considering it's only Pyncheons out of hundreds of chicks hatched this spring.

It could be a breed problem, or one with that particular hatch, but Mareks disease may also be a problem. Dehydration and coccidiosis can cause lethargy, weakness, diarrhea, and refusal to eat, so I would look at those as well. I don't care for wire for chicks myself, so that could be one possibility. Vitamin deficiency even in the parent stock, but also in chicks can cause leg and neurological problems. One thing to do is to contact your state vet to ask about a necropsy and testing for Mareks if you lose another one. Sorry for your loss. Here is a link for that: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Thanks for the reply, Eggcessive. Yes, I've wondered about Marek's, but again it's only the Pyncheons that have showed up with it. Plus, they've never been around adult birds at all, and on top of that, I've never seen Marek's on my farm, anyway.

They are on wire because they are living in the house until they are big enough to compete out in the barn with other chickens. Easier to keep them clean in my dining room. Or what would be in a dining room in someone else's house. :)

Breeders get a good ration, and the chicks themselves are on a good quality starter. None have shown any inclination towards diarrhea. Eating and drinking have not been a problem.

I have a feeling it is something to do with this strain/breed, but that seems too easy. Just wondered what anyone else thought. There is an earlier thread with someone having problems with a Pyncheon pullet, but that bird improved and nothing was ever updated on the thread. As I said in my OP, my first chick recovered only to show up with the same problem later.

Anyway, thanks. I guess it's wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom