Q for those in VA with goats

basicliving

Keepin' the sunny side up
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
Shenandoah Valley, VA
We live about 45 minutes north of Harrisonburg. I would really like to get a couple of dairy goats and am just starting to read up on them a little.

I feel like we need to build some sort of closed in structure for them, but everything I'm reading only mentions 3 sided structures. Those of you in Virginia - specifically areas that get snow, ice, and just down right cold during the winter - what sort of structure do you provide for your goats? Is it a building with a door, or a 3 sided structure? Do they go in at night and you close them up, or do you just let them decide where they want to sleep - inside or out?

My parents have had goats for years - but they live in southern GA and a 3 sided structure works well for them. Their goats sleep outside mostly. I'm just concerned because it gets much colder up here in the winter.

I appreciate any info you can provide.

Penny

Isn't MissPrissy in VA? She knows a lot
smile.png

Yes she is - and I'm hoping she drops in on this thread. She gets a ton of PMs, so I don't want to bother her with another one - especially in the middle of her goats kidding!

And I know I said VA - but only because I'm hoping to find someone that has a similar climate to tell me what they've done. But I'd love to here from anyone in this type of climate!

Thanks,
Penny

I used to raise pygmy goats. I had a barn that had 3 different stalls with the opening of each stall on the outside, we never closed them in alot of times they wouldn't even go in the stalls in bad weather they would all hang out on the side that was blocking the wind. A 3 sided structure should do fine.

Last edited:
Thank you Pamperpoultry. I'm still trying to talk my husband into this and the more info I can give him about what we need to do, the more comfortable he'll be with the idea.

Back
Top Bottom