Quack Quack need a little advice

hmm.png
Ok, I have more questions............. how long do I leave this guy penned up in coop....my chickens stayed in for 3 weeks and now coop up fine, any difference with a duck? AND
ep.gif
I totally fogot I had fish in my little pond in one of my gardens............ are they at risk now?

Last edited:
As far as "how long do I leave this guy penned up in coop"? well....I would say at least 3 or 4 weeks. I kept mine penned 3 weeks, but after I let them out, WHOOSH! they took flight. DH and I just stood there stareing....mouths hanging open...3 weeks of working with them and feeding them, and trhey repay us like that?? UGH! Well...after about 30 min, they came back...but never was "pet me, friendly" They came for feed...and hung out, but not as pets really.
As far as the fish...hmmm, I HAD about 75 goldfish in my pond....I havent seen one in there in weeks. Darned ducks!!

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that... I just have such a hard time leaving him so alone..really hard... but hate to take the chance he wont come back, we do have a small town lake , would they acclimate there naturally? The ducks and geese there are fed all the time by people? Is that a good option? sure hate for this guy to be lonely

Hi, As far as sexing goes, the drake makes a very low pitched whispery quack, and the duck makes a definate quack, the male usually has a curl on his tail as well.
She looks like a duck to me, and with those wing feathers she may have flown in as they arent clipped.
If you do release her with the wild ducks, she may find a friend though she may find a duck eating friend too!!!
Some people dont like to see domestic ducks with wild ones due to diseases, however I dont think the ducks care!!!It would be easier on you to rehome her to a duck family, they are very messy and make a real mess of your coop,.
My 2 duckies have their own paddock because they scared my chooks so much that they went off the lay, and they made lots of work for me changing the water every 5 minutes!!!
However if you do get attached to her and I would!!!get her a friend and fence them off with a paddle pool!!!
good luck
hugs

hmm.png
thank you bantymum, I will just have to think about it a day or two. She is now making mess of coop for sure, It was hard to keep up with already... and I sure love to watch my fish in my pond........So may contact people locally and see if anyone wants this girl..... I love ducks,but may not be ready for one ! I appreciate all the advice everyone !

Congrats on your scovy!
Females will make a twirtling sound and males will make a hissing sound. Drakes don't have the curly tail feathers like mallard derived breeds do.

Here is a page of duck care tips, including why not to release in a park...
http://www.duckrescuenetwork.org/duck_care.html

If you need help finding a home, you can contact [email protected]

or find a rescuer in your area
http://www.duckrescuenetwork.org/rescuers.html
The one is your area is a super person and is a member here. If she can't take your duck, I am sure she will help find a suitable home.

We just hatched another batch today- 8 to go with our 4-4 week olds.
Only think I can add is when my wife feeds them cut up lettuce with water and they L-O-V-E it and can't get enough.
The wife wants to let them go in our pond now but doesn't want them to catch anything from the wild ducks.
So we will see what developes.
We lived in Ft. Lauderdale a few years back and had a water way in the back yard with wild Muscovy Ducks we could not do anything with them the city had laws that let them rome free. Boy are they ugly looking the babies are cut but didn't care much for there looks.
Use to the pekin we had growing up in the north.

Back
Top Bottom