Quail Building help for 41 quail coop

Love your pens.... Question on your feeders?? Can't tell from your pic... Did you cut a whole in the wire? We use 1/2" x 1/2"
No I don't have to cut the wire. The birds can get their head through a 1" opening but I do spread every other one out just a little bit to make it easier for them.

No I don't have to cut the wire. The birds can get their head through a 1" opening but I do spread every other one out just a little bit to make it easier for them.

Thanks pkhunter,

I went looking through our old cages found one with 1" on the sides,,, Will make a great grow out pen. Especially with feeders on the out side.

Thanks! They're now 2 weeks and one day old :) I'm not having any problems with them :) Alls well. They're starting to learn how to fly :D How much longer do I grind their food for? But theres this one thats really small and it gets a bit trampled and I keep a close watch on him or her. But, other than that, everythings good! Keep u updated!
tongue2.gif

Since you didn't say what kind of coturnix you have I will assume you have brown ones, You can tell the sex of them at around 3 weeks hens have a spotted chest and roosters have a solid rust color. If you had any A&Ms they would be white. With 41 chick you can count on half of them being roosters so you need to determine how you want to raise them, any where from 1-3 to 1-6. I prefer to keep mine at 1 rooster to 5 or 6 hens. So your going to have a lot of extras rooster, I keep my extras on the ground till 6-8 weeks them sell them to people to eat. For cages I prefer all wire 1/2" X1" on the bottom and 1" X 2" on the sides & top. I build mine 2' deep 10' long and 10" tall = 20 sq. ft. then divide that into 4 pens that are 30" each. That gives you 5 sq,ft. per pen. I have 6 or 7 birds in each with no problems, my water and feed are on the outside of the pen so that gives them more room also. I also build them were the eggs roll out the bottom front. This type of pen cost me about $80 in material and takes about 5 to 6 hours to build.
How do you keep snakes at bay with egg rollouts and 1*2 wire?

How do you keep snakes at bay with egg rollouts and 1*2 wire?

Guess I've been lucky, never had any problems with my birds that are on the ground or in the cages and I live on a lake with plenty of snakes. Here is a picture of one at my friends place ate 3 hens and then couldn't get out.

Back
Top Bottom