Quail cannibals??

ButtonNomies

Songster
Jul 17, 2022
So I've noticed a disturbing habit that's literally just popped up with one of my FEMALE buttons. She's part of one of my breeding groups, 4 females 2 Males. She has done this to the 2 males and 1 female. Pecked them in the exact same spot until they're bleeding then she kept pecking and drinking their blood making the wounds bigger 😶

I've covered the areas on the affected birds with fabric plasters on top of the feathers loosely (it doesn't touch the wound just guards it from further pecking)

Anyone know what's going on with this girl? Why is she suddenly got a taste for blood and quail flesh? She's well fed, on a specific mix for buttons, has access to cuttlefish and oyster shell grit. Boiled eggs every day. She can't be hungry She's the biggest one in there. I would say she pretty tubby.

Anyone know what I can do for her? I'd rather not have to remove her, she's a sweet girl other than this xx

VideoCapture_20221112-222825.jpg
20221112_111625.jpg

So I've noticed a disturbing habit that's literally just popped up with one of my FEMALE buttons. She's part of one of my breeding groups, 4 females 2 Males. She has done this to the 2 males and 1 female. Pecked them in the exact same spot until they're bleeding then she kept pecking and drinking their blood making the wounds bigger 😶

I've covered the areas on the affected birds with fabric plasters on top of the feathers loosely (it doesn't touch the wound just guards it from further pecking)

Anyone know what's going on with this girl? Why is she suddenly got a taste for blood and quail flesh? She's well fed, on a specific mix for buttons, has access to cuttlefish and oyster shell grit. Boiled eggs every day. She can't be hungry She's the biggest one in there. I would say she pretty tubby.

Anyone know what I can do for her? I'd rather not have to remove her, she's a sweet girl other than this xx

View attachment 3381440View attachment 3381441
She is gorgeous
Nasty problem here, and personally I would remove her from the others temporarily while you figure this out.

Just want to get a bit more information, how large is their enclosure, what food are they on (brand?), how much protein?

For the wounds, if you havent yet, I'd suggest giving them a gentle wash, and if you have some triple antibiotic (without pain relief), apply plenty.

She is gorgeous
Nasty problem here, and personally I would remove her from the others temporarily while you figure this out.

Just want to get a bit more information, how large is their enclosure, what food are they on (brand?), how much protein?

For the wounds, if you havent yet, I'd suggest giving them a gentle wash, and if you have some triple antibiotic (without pain relief), apply plenty.
Theyve been treated with silver spray and covering the wounds seems to have stopped her for now, she doesn't seem to be interested in the other 2 girls.

Protien in general in around 25% She's laying well, Pooping fine, offering herself to her male. They have 6 square foot of floor space and lots of places to hide away and build nests. Lots of foliage coverage. Their light is on from 8am til 10pm. Offered live Morio grubs once a week and she goes absolutely potty for it. Maybe she needs more live food? Are there any live insects I can feed her that won't effect her health if given regularly? Xx

This isn't cannibalism, but aggression. I would separate her for a day or so, then put her in with one male. Button quail do best in pairs, and she may be feeling territorial.

I'm not sure how large your enclosure is, but for six button quail, you should have at least six square feet after you've subtracted the space used by feeders, dust bath, hiding places, etc. If you have less than that, her being territorial is even more likely.

I hope that helps.

This isn't cannibalism, but aggression. I would separate her for a day or so, then put her in with one male. Button quail do best in pairs, and she may be feeling territorial.

I'm not sure how large your enclosure is, but for six button quail, you should have at least six square feet after you've subtracted the space used by feeders, dust bath, hiding places, etc. If you have less than that, her being territorial is even more likely.

I hope that helps.
There's zero aggression in it. She sits preening them, I've watched her do it. Then she'll pluck the feathers and then create a wound. The others just let her do it 😐 then she actually drinks their blood from the wound ... full out head up swallowing like water ... its weird. But it's definately not aggressive in any way other than she creates the wound by a quick peck after preening then plucking xx

There's zero aggression in it. She sits preening them, I've watched her do it. Then she'll pluck the feathers and then create a wound. The others just let her do it 😐 then she actually drinks their blood from the wound ... full out head up swallowing like water ... its weird. But it's definately not aggressive in any way other than she creates the wound by a quick peck after preening then plucking xx
That is weird, but I would still try her in a pair situation with just one male.

Oh well that is a bit disturbing. :hmm Try separating her and then putting her back.

That is weird, but I would still try her in a pair situation with just one male.
I took her out with Max for a while, They spent the whole 6 hours calling back n forth to the other 4 ... put them back in. She's not done it again yet but I've just walked in to this ...
VideoCapture_20230122-183453.jpg

I cannot in good conscience seperate her from this group again. Theyre a completely bonded group now. I'll just have to hope she stops doing it and manage it the best I can. Gonna try her on live crickets and see if that satisfies her blood thirst xx

The splash girl is who she shares Max with, they definately dont have any issues with each other, in fact I'd say they've bonded closer to each other than to Max ... and Max is more interested in me so their lil love triangle works xx

I want to give mine live crickets. Should I buy them from the pet store or just collect some outside?
I think pet shop bought ones are probably best as they're regulated yes? Free from diseases and such? I've no idea but idve gone with the safer option if I had tht choice (crickets aren't native to the uk) xx

Back
Top Bottom