Quail chicks staying right under heat lamp but thermometer reads 114°F where they're at? They don't act like it's to hot.

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
Thermometer says brooder is 114°F directly under heat lamp but chicks are still piled right underneath it? They have plenty of room to get away from the heat lamp but they are all laying right underneath it. They aren't panting. All seem to be comfortable. All of them are sleeping and eating. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Thermometer is brand new and is from incubator warehouse so should be correct. Why would they all pile underneath if it's that hot? Its a 250 watt heat lamp but is raised up pretty high. I just put them in the brooder about a hour ago. What should I do? Leave it or move the heat lamp or something?

Attachments

• Snapchat-217926719.jpg
    Snapchat-217926719.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 49
I'd double check the thermometer
I just put the thermometer in ice water in a Ziploc bag to collaborate it and it took 30 minutes for it to get down to 36°F then it went back up to 38.1 It should be 32 in ice water so it is off by a few degrees but that would mean if it was showing 117 in the brooder it is actually around 111 which is obviously still way to hot. The chicks are still laying directly underneath though. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not sure if I should move the lamp or not.

I just put the thermometer in ice water in a Ziploc bag to collaborate it and it took 30 minutes for it to get down to 36°F then it went back up to 38.1 It should be 32 in ice water so it is off by a few degrees but that would mean if it was showing 117 in the brooder it is actually around 111 which is obviously still way to hot. The chicks are still laying directly underneath though. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not sure if I should move the lamp or not.
As long as they're acting fine, I'd Chalk it up to a faulty thermometer.

A thermometer can be wrong by 6 degrees at all temperatures.
But it can also be wrong by a certain percent, which would mean it is wrong by more degrees at some temperatures than others.

I would trust the quail chicks rather than the thermometer, no matter what explanation may be true for the thermometer.

A thermometer can be wrong by 6 degrees at all temperatures.
But it can also be wrong by a certain percent, which would mean it is wrong by more degrees at some temperatures than others.

I would trust the quail chicks rather than the thermometer, no matter what explanation may be true for the thermometer.
So if they're huddled up under the lamp should I actually move it closer to them?

So if they're huddled up under the lamp should I actually move it closer to them?
In your photo, they look comfortable.

There is an even hotter spot directly under the lamp, while they are choosing to be in little clumps a bit further out.

I mostly have chicken experience, but your "huddle" of quail chicks appear to be doing something I recognize: they like to lay next to each other even when the temperature is correct. They have no concept of personal space at this age, and seem happiest to sleep in a clump.

If they were too cold, they would be in the spot most directly under the lamp, and would be pushing and shoving, each trying get higher (it's warmer up higher) or trying to crawl underneath each other (because another chick feels warmer than the air.)

If they were too cold, I would also expect them to be peeping loudly.

In your photo, they look comfortable.

There is an even hotter spot directly under the lamp, while they are choosing to be in little clumps a bit further out.

I mostly have chicken experience, but your "huddle" of quail chicks appear to be doing something I recognize: they like to lay next to each other even when the temperature is correct. They have no concept of personal space at this age, and seem happiest to sleep in a clump.

If they were too cold, they would be in the spot most directly under the lamp, and would be pushing and shoving, each trying get higher (it's warmer up higher) or trying to crawl underneath each other (because another chick feels warmer than the air.)

If they were too cold, I would also expect them to be peeping loudly.
Ok. Thanks! I'll just leave them be then. One of the chicks is peeping loudly but stops when I put my hand in the brooder. I think it just wants me in there. I also had one hatch with splayed legs so I cut a bandaid in half and wrapped it around its legs to keep them in the right position. Hopefully it will help.

Back
Top Bottom