Hello!
I have a quail who seems to be causing issues. She has been starting to try and peck my other hens in the eyes. They are the same hens that she had flocked with for a while. The only thing that’s different is the age difference. I was told she was a jumbo coturnix (she is not) and that she is approx 12 weeks old (I can tell she is not by the length of her beak).

The others that are with her are also not jumbos but are younger based on beak size.

My question is this. How do I get her to stop trying to peck my other gals?

Also if anyone knows of any jumbo quail farms in the western states please let me know. I’m SO tired of vent sexing quail and would love to just have a flock that you can sex by feathers.

EDIT: They have plenty of resources (water, food,etc)
AZchickens - YES he raises and sells quail. He is in Arizona

Hello!
I have a quail who seems to be causing issues. She has been starting to try and peck my other hens in the eyes. They are the same hens that she had flocked with for a while. The only thing that’s different is the age difference. I was told she was a jumbo coturnix (she is not) and that she is approx 12 weeks old (I can tell she is not by the length of her beak).

The others that are with her are also not jumbos but are younger based on beak size.

My question is this. How do I get her to stop trying to peck my other gals?

Also if anyone knows of any jumbo quail farms in the western states please let me know. I’m SO tired of vent sexing quail and would love to just have a flock that you can sex by feathers.

EDIT: They have plenty of resources (water, food,etc)
HI! I know it's 2024, but I just read this today. Myshire farms has great hatching eggs. I get hatching eggs and they are shipped here to Montana. Quail are pretty high strung as it is, but I have gotten some from Southwest in the past and found the birds to end up a bit more high strung compared to Myshire's. I don't know if they aren't as careful with the breeding but am much happier with Myshire.

Last edited:
HI! I know it's 2024, but I just read this today. Myshire farms has great hatching eggs. I get hatching eggs and they are shipped here to Montana. Quail are pretty high strung as it is, but I have gotten some from Southwest in the past and found the birds to end up a bit more high strung compared to Myshire's. I don't know if they aren't as careful with the breeding but am much happier with Myshire.
That's interesting, because I have had the opposite experience. Myshire birds aren't super flighty, but the ones I got from SW are incredibly calm. SW isn't selling hatching eggs anymore, though.

That's interesting, because I have had the opposite experience. Myshire birds aren't super flighty, but the ones I got from SW are incredibly calm. SW isn't selling hatching eggs anymore, though.
You know, maybe it's something totally unrelated such as weather or air pressure-do we really know everything about it? It's amazing to me. That's why I love what I do! Just when you think you have it figured out---!

You know, maybe it's something totally unrelated such as weather or air pressure-do we really know everything about it? It's amazing to me. That's why I love what I do! Just when you think you have it figured out---!
I never want to stop learning. As you said, it could be environmental, it could be that we chose different temperaments due to colour lines, etc.

Yeah I am just tired of vent sexing my quail and at this point I would like to get feather sexable quail moving forward. I feel like I have two that are flighty and the others are really sweet so I’m doing well there.

Back
Top Bottom