Quail due soon need help with temp!

Britt712

Chirping
Jun 15, 2020
Tennessee
I have some coturnix eggs due to go into lockdown in a couple days. I have two different kinds of quail in the incubator and they have different hatch dates so I made a seperate incubator for lockdown purposes only. My homemade incubator isn't fit to hatch chicks, only incubate which is another reason I had to make another one.
It's a styrofoam cooler, forced air with a CFL bulb that only reaches 95 degrees at the most. I have tried other bulbs and they either raise the temp too high or makes the temp too low. This bulb is the only one that gets the temperature in the right area. I've tried insulating the cooler with blankets and it is in a room that stays around 75 constantly.
Would they even be okay to hatch at this temperature or is this too low? I've heard that some people lower their temps to about 95-98 but I'm sure that's too low. Especially in a forced air.

Ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have some coturnix eggs due to go into lockdown in a couple days. I have two different kinds of quail in the incubator and they have different hatch dates so I made a seperate incubator for lockdown purposes only. My homemade incubator isn't fit to hatch chicks, only incubate which is another reason I had to make another one.
It's a styrofoam cooler, forced air with a CFL bulb that only reaches 95 degrees at the most. I have tried other bulbs and they either raise the temp too high or makes the temp too low. This bulb is the only one that gets the temperature in the right area. I've tried insulating the cooler with blankets and it is in a room that stays around 75 constantly.
Would they even be okay to hatch at this temperature or is this too low? I've heard that some people lower their temps to about 95-98 but I'm sure that's too low. Especially in a forced air.

Ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Yeah, that's way too low. Why can't you just leave them in the same incubator? I've done that many times and have no problems. Most of my hatches are staggered hatches. In fact, I'm doing a staggered hatch with bobwhites right now. 1 due tomorrow, 2 due next week, 4 due in 2 weeks, and just set 2 more today. I have upped the humidity to 65% for hatching, and then I'll lower it and remove the chick about an hour after it hatches. Then flip the turner back on and wait until the next lockdown day.

Yeah, that's way too low. Why can't you just leave them in the same incubator? I've done that many times and have no problems. Most of my hatches are staggered hatches. In fact, I'm doing a staggered hatch with bobwhites right now. 1 due tomorrow, 2 due next week, 4 due in 2 weeks, and just set 2 more today. I have upped the humidity to 65% for hatching, and then I'll lower it and remove the chick about an hour after it hatches. Then flip the turner back on and wait until the next lockdown day.
Thank you for your reply. How in the world do you get decent hatches with that dramatic humidity fluctuation? Lol.
I can't hatch them in the same bator because it's a 2.2 gallon bait bucket used to hold small live fish. I thought it would be an interesting project considering it's already insulated and has ventilation on the top. My only problem is I have a fan in that small bucket to make it forced air and a bulb sticking through the middle of the lid. I'd be afraid of the chicks getting burned or getting around behind the fan and getting stuck considering its pretty crowded with 9 quail eggs. Plus with the bowl of water in there for humidity, I wouldn't be able to get it up high enough for Hatching in there and it takes up too much space anyways. I knew I wouldn't be able to hatch them in the bucket which is why I made a seperate bator with plenty of room. I just didn't expect to have this heating issue. I went to the store and got another bulb to see if it works any.

On a seperate note, I doubt I will have a good hatch anyways because I have had some bad temp spikes but I can always make things better and learn from it. I candeled them today and all seem to be moving around but that makes me scared because deformites are possible and I'm not even sure how to 'cull' a live chick humainly.

If your temps get too high, will there be guarenteed deformities? Of at least one chick? I would really like to know how common it is to get deformed hatches from high temps. Thank you for replying!

Back
Top Bottom