quail dying Help please!

173rd

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 11, 2013
Hatched my first California Valley quail this Sat. Seem to be eating, drinking, & just running around in box. Spilt them up in 2 boxs so.they got plenty of room. One a day dead when I get up in morning.
But 2 this morning.2 this afternoon and 1 just now is dying. Thought at first they were huddleing and smothering but is not the case I am watching them pretty close.
Still have red heat light on them.
Anybody give me a tip as what to do?

Sorry this is not much help. This kinda why I don't like raising baby valley quail. Because they just die because no reason they just die

Quail babies are fragile to start with, and the New World quail, such as Valleys, are even more fragile than the Old World Species like Coturnix.

Babies die for a few reasons. Generally the most common reason is a heating issue....Either it is too hot or too cold. It has to be right, or they are going to die. There can be no drafts as well.

They can also die from bacteria infections or genetic issues, however it is always best to start with the basics.

So you need to go over your brooder box. Use a thermometer you KNOW is right. Not a junky one you pulled out of the basement that has been sitting there for 2 decades, but one you got from a poultry brooder house. The brooder box should not be so large that there are drafts blowing in. When 95 degree heat meets 68 degree room temps, there is a draft formed from the cooler air rushing to meet the warm air. And this WILL kill babies. ALWAYS use a solid walled and floor brooder. For first timer's, always brood baby quail indoors.

HOWEVER....you need a brooder with some size so that the babies can get out of the heat at any time. You want to keep the heat on one side of the brooder and the feed and water on the other side of the brooder so they have to leave the heat to get to the goods.

Do NOT cover the lid of the brooder with anything but something similar to hardware cloth or chicken wire. You want good heat and oxygen exchange.

Start the brooder temp for Valley quail at 97 degrees. Place the thermometer on the floor, directly beneath the heat source for accuracy. Remember, as the air temp in the room the brooder is kept heats up or cools down, the temp inside the brooder will also change. Even slight temp variations can kill babies. So monitor the temp in the brooder every few hours. If you see them piling on top of each other beneath the heat, they are too cold. If they are on the sides of the brooder stretched out and panting, they are over heating. If they are comfortably moving around and are not doing either of these previous things, they are doing well with the temp. Babies will sleep a ton the first few days under the light, but they should not pile.

Each week, lower the temp by 5 degrees for 6 weeks.

After hatching, always dip each beak in the water. Lay paper towels down and crush up all food for the first week or two. Sprinkle it around on the floor by the feeder so they can find the food. Never assume they all know where the food or water is. Quail babies are dumb. You can remove the paper towels after 4+ days or when you are sure they all know where the food is stored.

Use quail proof water fonts so nobody falls in and drowns.

I prefer using a red or infra red heat lamp to brood babies so their natural sleep pattern at night is not disturbed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom