quail getting hurt?

anjbagley

Songster
10 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Star Valley Wyoming
I am fairly new to raising courtnix quail and not having much luck. I am down to my last two, one male and one female. The guy I got them from said they pair up so two should be okay. The female one looks terrible. The male is ripping the female up, so it looks. She had no feathers left on her neck or half way down her back. Today her neck was even bleeding. Why would he be doing this and what should I do? Thanks for any help.

You were lied to... coturnix need to be at least 3 to 6 hens per Roo. I have had 9 hens per roo and still had bald hens... Go to your local farm supply store and ask for "Blue Kote" paint a bit of this on the bald or bloody parts and then check your local craigs list and find more hens.... Bill

I wouldn't even keep them in trios. I sell breeders quads, it's best to have at least 3 females per male.

@ Fat Daddy: If you had 9 females with 1 male and still had bald heads I'd think you have aggressive females. It's not always the males that pick their feathers.

So until I can find some more, which may take a while to find, would I be better off to remove the female or would having them each alone be a bad idea?

Quote:
I would separate them.
smile.png

Please do

Quote:
WHY use "bits" for Coturnix? Seperate until you get the needed # of hens. They should be fairly easy to find this time of year on Craigslist and at auctions.

Back
Top Bottom