Quail Hatch - Thought I had more time!

beccabonny

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
I got my dates wrong and thought I was on day 13, but I woke up to peeps from my egg-turner incubator. Now that I look at the calendar, it's actually day 15, so they are early, but my issue is I have been doing staggered hatches and have eggs on day 9 in there as well.

I see pipped eggs in there and don't want to open the 'bator to transfer the day 15 eggs left to hatch out, but I also don't want the chicks to get stuck (like they do...any way they can) and die, or kill their siblings-on-day-9s' chances of having a good hatch. I just checked them and almost every one was developing perfectly.

Will turning the turner off for the day negatively affect the day 9 eggs? Should I set up my usual lockdown bator now and move everything up to a steamy bathroom and just transfer them? I've had terrible luck anytime I disturb pipped eggs and don't know if the risk is worth it, but if it'll ruin my next hatch, that's probably the better option. Rather lose 2-3 eggs than half a turner's worth.

My incubators are the styrofoam ones. One is forced air and one is not. I dry incubate then move them to the more humid (~45-55%) lockdown bator, usually on day 13-14.

I got my dates wrong and thought I was on day 13, but I woke up to peeps from my egg-turner incubator. Now that I look at the calendar, it's actually day 15, so they are early, but my issue is I have been doing staggered hatches and have eggs on day 9 in there as well.

I see pipped eggs in there and don't want to open the 'bator to transfer the day 15 eggs left to hatch out, but I also don't want the chicks to get stuck (like they do...any way they can) and die, or kill their siblings-on-day-9s' chances of having a good hatch. I just checked them and almost every one was developing perfectly.

Will turning the turner off for the day negatively affect the day 9 eggs? Should I set up my usual lockdown bator now and move everything up to a steamy bathroom and just transfer them? I've had terrible luck anytime I disturb pipped eggs and don't know if the risk is worth it, but if it'll ruin my next hatch, that's probably the better option. Rather lose 2-3 eggs than half a turner's worth.

My incubators are the styrofoam ones. One is forced air and one is not. I dry incubate then move them to the more humid (~45-55%) lockdown bator, usually on day 13-14.
I would spray the air around the incubator with water them very fast open it grab an egg and transfer it make sure to keep the egg in the same position it was in.

Back
Top Bottom