Quail having problems standing up.

Raiden23

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2015
Buffalo, SC
I have a female Courtnix Quail that is have some serious issue's standing up. Her feet and legs seem to be working fine, she just seems to be very top heavy and cannot stand up. It takea her a little time to get her feet underneath her to stand up. Most of the time she just lays around. She can still slowly get up to drink and eat. Has anyone seen this or had this problem?

I'm not sure I have an answer for you, but I have a few questions that might help someone else to help you. How old is your bird? Has this slowly progressed or just appeared one day? What breed is she? Is she laying eggs or has she been?
My first thoughts are that I have heard d some Jumbo's get so big their legs won't support them. Or perhaps she popcorned into something and hurt herself ( nervous system issues do strange things sometimes) Or maybe she is in pain and eggbound instead of it actually being a leg problem. I'll keep an eye here but I just started with Quail myself.

A deficiency of calcium or vitamin D3 could be worth considering as well, so in addition to the questions above I'd like to know what you are feeding her?

I've had it happen to 1 of my girls. I removed her from the rest and move her over to her own cage. Added extra protein to her food and ACV to her water it took her about 2 weeks to get back to normal but she was fine after that. No other issues and that was almost a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom