Quail Injured with Broken Wing or Rib Won’t Eat or Drink What to do???

backyardbirds394

Songster
Aug 24, 2018
Hello everyone. My small dog stuck her head through the quail cage while I wasn’t around and bit one of my cortunix quail. She was bleeding a lot and had a bone near her wing which could be the humerus or maybe a rib sticking out. I put neonsporin on her and wrapped her wing going over the injured one and under the mobile one. She also drinks Sav-a-Chick water every few hours but hasn't eaten. Her injury is much better today 3 days later but she is drinking less water and still hasn't eaten. I want to note that I accidentally dropped her yesterday from around my knee level sitting cross legged and she may have hit her head and neck because she was shaking it. Today when drinking water she also shook it a lot. She had one bite of food today but nothing else. What should I do since she won't eat or drink much? The drinking is very worrying. She isn't eggbound because I feel no egg but has no laid if that's important to note. Please tell me what else I can do to help her. Thank you everyone.

Hello everyone. My small dog stuck her head through the quail cage while I wasn’t around and bit one of my cortunix quail. She was bleeding a lot and had a bone near her wing which could be the humerus or maybe a rib sticking out. I put neonsporin on her and wrapped her wing going over the injured one and under the mobile one. She also drinks Sav-a-Chick water every few hours but hasn't eaten. Her injury is much better today 3 days later but she is drinking less water and still hasn't eaten. I want to note that I accidentally dropped her yesterday from around my knee level sitting cross legged and she may have hit her head and neck because she was shaking it. Today when drinking water she also shook it a lot. She had one bite of food today but nothing else. What should I do since she won't eat or drink much? The drinking is very worrying. She isn't eggbound because I feel no egg but has no laid if that's important to note. Please tell me what else I can do to help her. Thank you everyone.
I wish I could help!

Is she pooping?
What does it look like?
Can you post pictures, of her, her injury, and her poop?
What are you feeding her?

You can probably stop with the Save-a-chick at this point. You might try boiling an egg or two and crushing up the yolks for her.

Is she pooping?
What does it look like?
Can you post pictures, of her, her injury, and her poop?
What are you feeding her?

You can probably stop with the Save-a-chick at this point. You might try boiling an egg or two and crushing up the yolks for her.
Shes shaking her head more than usual because she doesn’t like being lifted but she does this when refusing food or water. It’s day 4 now, how do I get her to eat?
DABD16AC-B884-4E8E-8C8F-A7CD04601558.jpeg
693A78FA-50D2-4E03-B92A-FBE6E2FCAD08.jpeg

She's pooping, so she's eating something. I'm glad you noticed the infection, since that would probably have killed her. I think the best you can do for her is to keep her clean, warm, and in a quiet environment with food and water near her. I would try some boiled egg yolk to see if that tempts her to eat.

If you can, put her on shavings, cloth, or something less slick than newspaper. Smooth surfaces may cause leg injuries if she slips.

She's pooping, so she's eating something. I'm glad you noticed the infection, since that would probably have killed her. I think the best you can do for her is to keep her clean, warm, and in a quiet environment with food and water near her. I would try some boiled egg yolk to see if that tempts her to eat.

If you can, put her on shavings, cloth, or something less slick than newspaper. Smooth surfaces may cause leg injuries if she slips.
Thank you for your answers everyone. Unfortunately she died in her sleep. Could it have been too much amoxicillin or the infection and lack of food got to her. May Tiger RIP

Back
Top Bottom