Quail not laying?

Would a ratio of 2 males to 3 females be too much? We've decided it's easier to cull one rather than keep them separate.. but my brother has taken a great liking to one of the males (only because it's white, children befuddle me..) and one of our hens sits by this one male every day, and I believe if we cull him she'll become stressed. We're going to incubate eggs once the females start laying, so we'll try and grow our population of females. But would the hens even lay with 2 males, or is that still too many?
2 males to 3 females is still too many. To be honest, I think that with only 3 hens, you're best off without any males. One might be okay in your case, though, since you've said that they get along.

2 males to 3 females is still too many. To be honest, I think that with only 3 hens, you're best off without any males. One might be okay in your case, though, since you've said that they get along.
We're hoping to get fertile eggs so we'd like to keep one, since our flock will be quite small by then.

Or, we could also cull one but get more hens?

Back
Top Bottom