Quail on Deep Litter - Why it Works

For your first question, read the original post in this thread for a tutorial.

For the food, we use a game bird crumble and just make sure it's at least 28% protein. We also mix in some oyster shell for additional calcium. I think that original post also talks about that a bit, or if you look in the quail forums here there should be some great posts about every detail you need to keep quail healthy and productive.

I am going to bump this thread so more people hopefully read it. I will contribute a photo as well so that this post was not a complete waste ;)

77g8wdm.jpg

I really want to try this, in the run particularly, but am worried about the rain. I mean I live on an island famous for being green, and that grass doesn't grow from being too dry!
I'm thinking of a side panel a foot or so on the side, and a roof (though originally I was going to have it just wire). The ground itself is solid, so would a bottom layer of stone and sand be a good idea? And then add the leaf litter etc on top?

I really want to try this, in the run particularly, but am worried about the rain. I mean I live on an island famous for being green, and that grass doesn't grow from being too dry!
I'm thinking of a side panel a foot or so on the side, and a roof (though originally I was going to have it just wire). The ground itself is solid, so would a bottom layer of stone and sand be a good idea? And then add the leaf litter etc on top?
If you keep it well structured with lots of firmer things, I would think it might be ok without the roof. I have horses, and they are a LOT heavier than a chicken and I can keep them up out of the mud for a while by putting down a thick layer of hay that kind of mats together and supports the weight. If you put some stuff like that and mulch in there, it should be able to drain and keep the birds out of the water.

Thank you Quailsong (and other contributors) for the fantastic and thorough information.

I originally didn't want to get quail because I really didn't like the idea of raising them on wire. It just bothered me and didn't seem "natural". But then I didn't want to have to go hunting for little eggs either.

I now feel confident enough to proceed with finishing the aviary and having them in my coop (in their own pen) over the winter (I am also in Canada). So they will have a summer home and a winter home. LOL

I was going to use deep litter this winter for my chickens and now with a few minor modifications, the quail can have that too. This thread makes me feel SO much better. Thank you!

Has anyone had problems with mites using deep litter? If so, what did you do? Do you have to chuck the whole thing and start again?

I put a light coat of Seven Dust and heavier coat of Diatomaceous Earth on the floor before putting down the pine shavings. Then add a dusting of DE after shavings are down. Have been doing this for years without any problems. I worm with Ivermectin which kills external parasites at least once a year. Also use Safeguard for worming.

Back
Top Bottom