quail-raised guineafowl

It has happened with just a few guineas to a lot of chickens. It is instinctive guinea behavior. Guineas really need to not be kept as just a couple. They are a flock bird and need more guineas for proper flock dynamics.

Remove the quail. The guineas may scream for awhile but will get over it in time.
I agree but perhaps a ratio of 5 guineas to ten chickens work well and the guineas will be slightly less noisier than a full guinea flock that was not raised with chickens.

I agree but perhaps a ratio of 5 guineas to ten chickens work well and the guineas will be slightly less noisier than a full guinea flock that was not raised with chickens.
My guinea flock was quiet. I raised them both ways, with and without chickens. After what they did to the chickens, I will never raise them with chickens again.

I brood the keets by themselves. I do not imprint them and they are quiet. They don't scream because they haven't become attached to anyone. There are sufficient numbers of them to fulfill their flock needs.

I house my guineas separate from all my other poultry. When they free range they keep to their own groups and leave all the other poultry alone.

I never recommend having fewer than 10 guineas so they can have proper flock dynamics.

I have seen in this forum many times how great the chicken imprinted keets are. Then when the first breeding season kicks in, they start asking why their guineas are attacking their chickens.

The only thing that imprinting keets with chickens does is to remove their abilit to understand that chickens ate not guineas. When their instincts kick in the other poultry do not understand their behaviors.

The other poultry also do not know how to show submission in "guinea" making the attacks keep going.

My guinea flock was quiet. I raised them both ways, with and without chickens. After what they did to the chickens, I will never raise them with chickens again.

I brood the keets by themselves. I do not imprint them and they are quiet. They don't scream because they haven't become attached to anyone. There are sufficient numbers of them to fulfill their flock needs.

I house my guineas separate from all my other poultry. When they free range they keep to their own groups and leave all the other poultry alone.

I never recommend having fewer than 10 guineas so they can have proper flock dynamics.

I have seen in this forum many times how great the chicken imprinted keets are. Then when the first breeding season kicks in, they start asking why their guineas are attacking their chickens.

The only thing that imprinting keets with chickens does is to remove their abilit to understand that chickens ate not guineas. When their instincts kick in the other poultry do not understand their behaviors.

The other poultry also do not know how to show submission in "guinea" making the attacks keep going.
what was ur ratio of male guineas to roosters?

I know somebody who raised guineas with a hen flock and nothing happened after years they were still together fine.

ive seen his guineas go after the mailman and snakes too but never hens. They may tackle a rooster during breeding season but idk if they will go after hens. Do yours have issues with hens or only roosters?

I know somebody who raised guineas with a hen flock and nothing happened after years they were still together fine.

ive seen his guineas go after the mailman and snakes too but never hens. They may tackle a rooster during breeding season but idk if they will go after hens. Do yours have issues with hens or only roosters?
My chicken imprinted guineas would go after any poultry including the turkeys.

My experience with people that claim their chicken imprinted guineas get along fine with chickens is that they either are talking about juveniles that have never been through the breeding season yet or they aren't telling the whole truth.

Those that seem to somewhat get by have a lot more room available than most people that are trying to add guineas that require a lot more space than chickens into the same space that is just barely enough for their chickens.

what was your ratio of male guineas to roosters?
I had more guinea cocks than chicken roosters because I had the proper ratio of 1:1 cocks to hens for guineas.

With my non chicken imprinted guineas I have not had any of them attack any of my other poultry.

In these situations it really comes down to “is the risk worth the reward?”

Sure, there are some people that keep the two together without issue, even for quite some time. But there are plenty of others willing to say that they tried it and had a bad experience and don’t recommend it.

If you have a lot of space and resources to run the two together and prepare for the worst outcome that they’ll both need to be separated, then why not go for it. At least you’d have a backup plan. But if not, I really can’t see any reason it would be worth even attempting.

The farmer across the road raises Brahmas and guineas together. Last fall the hens and/or the one rooster killed the one male guinea. She didn't see it happen but guessed it took more than one chicken to kill him. Since then, they all live together happily. She's gotten other breeds of chickens she keeps separate from them. The Brahmas and guineas live in their own space and the others in theirs.

I can hear her donkeys but I don't hear her guineas and I do know how loud they can be.

I had a coturnix quail raise my two guinea keets, and these are the quietest guineafowl I have ever seen. Whenever they are near the quail, they barely make a noise, and they barely get spooked by anything. Compared to guinea-raised keets (that get scared of leaves falling down trees), these keets continue eating with the quail even if a crow flies ahead of them. These keets act exactly like their quail foster as if they forgot all their guinea instincts.

This worked well, but the issue is that adult guineafowl get 5 times larger than quail. Now my keets are huge but they still follow the quail around their pen and sleep besides him. Every time I take the quail away from them they start screaming bloody murder loudly without stopping. If I carry the quail away then they start following me whilst screaming.

I do not think that a small quail would be able to live with two adult guineafowl. When do guineafowl typically leave their parents? The keets do well with my other turkeys and chickens but they favor the quail a lot more. Would the guineafowl start yapping every time I remove the quail from them even when theyre adults? Should I just keep some quail in a closed section in their coop to comfort them?
I had one of my chickens take in a couple guinea eggs that were laid in the box and she raised them with her brood and the two keets became part of the flock and were much quieter and better behaved than guinea raised birds. They imprinted on the flock and never went semi feral like our other guineas. They were quite peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom