Quail: Spent Beer Grains

justabackyard

Chirping
Sep 19, 2021
Middle Tennessee
Hi All,
I have a source for occasionally procuring fresh spent beer grains. Has anyone had experience using this as a supplemental feed source? I looked up the nutritional value, and it seems to be high in protein. You can really smell the beer, so I wouldn't want adverse effects from it's alcohol content. Thanks.

Hi All,
I have a source for occasionally procuring fresh spent beer grains. Has anyone had experience using this as a supplemental feed source? I looked up the nutritional value, and it seems to be high in protein. You can really smell the beer, so I wouldn't want adverse effects from it's alcohol content. Thanks.
I thought about this recently as well after seeing an ad for very cheap / free spent grain.
Watching this thread for any answers hopefully.

We have a brewer in the family and do this all the time. The chickens are not crazy about the taste and can sort of take it or leave it. They will pick at it if they get bored but do not go into a frenzy.

It can't be nutritionally complete.

We have a brewer in the family and do this all the time. The chickens are not crazy about the taste and can sort of take it or leave it. They will pick at it if they get bored but do not go into a frenzy.

It can't be nutritionally complete.
Thanks. I have heard that it has been offered to chickens and other livestock with varied success. Conversely, I just haven't seen many reports about quail in particular.

I was mainly hoping it could act as a protein supplement.

Back
Top Bottom