Quail started on chicken starter?

Ladybirdmama

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2016
BC, Canada
So we have never had fowl before, we are total city folk newbies. We've been doing a ton of reading, we've got a coop almost built, we got most of our supplies today and planned to pick up chicks that would be about a week old on Tuesday. I just found out they've been started on chicken starter
1f61e.png
I really want these chicks as they are colour variations I want, and they're adorable little babies whereas the others currently available (from other people) are nearly "mature." But now I'm worried that them having been started on lower protein food will cause a problem? Any insight or advice?

Last edited:
They've only been on it for a week when you get them and not missed much growth. They'lll grow normally as long as you feed them good starter after you get them.

We always use chick starter for our quail chicks as that is all that is available where I live, (in Australia)! Have been breeding and selling quail for a few years now and never had any problems.

Should I not be feeding them chick starter?

If your chick starter has ~24+ % protein, it's fine. If it's much lower than that, you might see reduced growth, increased mortality, feather plucking and such. According to what I've read, that is. But in general, I don't think chick starters get much above 18-21 % protein, which is why it's not recommended. Supplementation with mealworms, hard boiled eggs and such might prevent any issues from occurring though.

We always use chick starter for our quail chicks as that is all that is available where I live, (in Australia)!  Have been breeding and selling quail for a few years now and never had any problems.

Should I ​not ​be feeding them chick starter?

Generally chicken starter (and feed) is quite low in protein vs what quail need. Sounds like if that's your only option you can supplement to add protein
1f60a.png

What are the signs of not enough protein??? As mentioned, have raised quail this way for a few years now and never had any problems to speak of. Occasional birth defect but that doesn't seem uncommon.

Edited to add that just read above post on problems that can occur and certainly haven't had any of those and they seem to grow at normal rate. Just checked our chick starter and it is only 19.5% protein. Oops! I do give them treats, but these are mostly greens etc and sometimes chia or quinoa seeds which they love.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom