Quail stopped laying after first egg.

asif364

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2015
My coturnix quail laid the first egg on 11 July.But she didn't laid any egg after the first egg.Why?

It takes young layers a while to get their egg laying machines in gear to do a lot of laying. Quail don't lay everyday either. Make sure you are offering up crushed oyster shell on the side for the layers at all times. This calcium will help put a hard shell on the eggs and give the hens the contractions to push the egg out through the oviduct. Without enough calcium, hens can become egg bound.

It takes young layers a while to get their egg laying machines in gear to do a lot of laying. Quail don't lay everyday either. Make sure you are offering up crushed oyster shell on the side for the layers at all times. This calcium will help put a hard shell on the eggs and give the hens the contractions to push the egg out through the oviduct. Without enough calcium, hens can become egg bound.
x2. There may also be an "environmental" change that is effecting her egg cycle. I was doing work in my garage (where I keep my quail) and I didn't notice that I moved a lamp until a week or so later. Moved it back, and the girls were happily laying eggs again.
James

Back
Top Bottom