Quail throwing up and spitting ?!?!

McPhersonFarm

Songster
7 Years
Jan 18, 2013
Fort White, FL
So, I've raised quail a while and never had this happen so I'm confused. I went to move some quail and band them (so I know which are my younger quail) and after taking them out and holding them to band them they started shaking their head around and something that appeared to be saliva was shaking EVERYWHERE. It was disgusting! I haven't ever had them do this before, but I do normally band them a little younger than these (they are 4 weeks old). They are all fine after moving them to their new cage so they weren't harmed but ICK... Has anyone else experienced this?

That was the contents of the crop coming up. It could have been because they just stuffed themselves and drank a lot of water, they were stressed, or there is a crop issue from something they are eating. If it continues, you will need to figure out what is causing it and remedy the situation.

That was the contents of the crop coming up. It could have been because they just stuffed themselves and drank a lot of water, they were stressed, or there is a crop issue from something they are eating. If it continues, you will need to figure out what is causing it and remedy the situation.

They never did it before until I was holding them trying to band them. I am assuming that it probably won't happen again either. They were definitely stressed because I was holding them trying to band them LOL

Most of my 'teenager' quail seem to do this when restrained. My little guys and my breeders who are used to handling almost never spit up on me but it seems like every time I restrain the middle size guys to check them over or move them at least some of them will.

Back
Top Bottom