Quail Tractors?

Yup, we get to Santa Rosa about three times a year, when we need to visit civilization! We go to Trader Joe's and fill the carts to overflowing, and of course visit bookstores. And I think Santa Rosa has TWO Macy's, now.

I lived on Fifth Street, too (among other places all through the area)! Between San Fernando and Santa Clara. This was back in the mid-70's. Have you SEEN downtown lately? All the chaos and noise of redevelopment back in the 80's and now it has been turned into a place of beauty. You're right about the prices. Even with the downturn they are unbelievable.

I did an internet search last night about quail and parasites, and the worms are intestinal. Wouldn't these be removed durning cleaning the bird? I didn't see any indication of the kind that travel to the meat of the bird, and no mention of contaminating the eggs. Can anyone point me in the direction of finding out more? I'll keep looking, too. Thanks so much.

I am in Ohio, but I have 8 2-week-old quail that I hatched from Mrs. Smith in California. Get them-you will be hooked! They are very tame, and such fun to watch!

Yes intestinal worms are cleaned out, but, they make the birds ill, which can slow weight gain and make them scrawny. Kinda like tape worms in humans, back in the 1920's dried tapeworm eggs were sold as a diet pill.
hmm.png

Quote:
Hi babymakes5- what kind of quail and who is mrs. smith? Can you pm me her info.I was wanting to get into quail soon. Thankyou and congrats on your newest hatches.~ Tacey

well this throws a wrench in my tractor plans!
glad I read this tonight though, because I was ready to start on it tomorrow!
so much for happy free rangers, they'll have to be happy cage dwellers!

I'm still not sure there isn't a quail tractor in my future. Some of the parasites are not widespread here. Everyone here free ranges chicken or turkeys (some even together and that's not supposed to work because of parasites) and they all look fat and sassy. Plus, we have dozens of plump, healthy-looking wild quail who munch on the grass in my front yard all spring and summer.

I'm thinking if I let the grass grow a little longer in the backyard and moved the tractor every day, that the quail would be fine. I'll never know if I don't try. If they don't seem happy and perfectly healthy, it wouldn't be too hard to put the next batch into regular cages. It just seems more natural to let the forage for at least part of their diet.

Babymakes5, is Mrs. Smith a BYC person or an ebay person?

Back
Top Bottom