Quail update!! And a list of questions to go with it!!

cawooduck

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Livermore, CA
Well, my Coturnix chicks are a little over two weeks old now, and growing FAST!! Ive even had a couple fly out of the brooder when i have the door open checking on them, but they dont go far!! It looks as though i have a mess load of goldens, three A&M's, nine Tux's, some browns and about 10 tibetans. And man, do they ever poop a lot, i change the shavings daily and the area under the wire looks like a pigeon roost!! I am currently building the breeding cages but that came to a hault today since it was hailing and rainy, tomorrow should be a good day to finish them after work. The weather is suppose to be in the 80's this weekend, so they may get to try out their outdoor cages for a short time so i can see how they react to them, and see if they will catch on to the water bottle idea, which would be really nice!

Question time!!

Can i put hens of one breed in with another, say golden hens in with brown roo's, and what would that out come be, color wise?

How many quail would you put in a 2' x 6' breeding cage? I would like to keep a ratio of 1 rooster to 5 hens.

I am thinking of building an enclosed nest box off one end of the breeding cage, do you think they will use it more than just laying on the wire, or would it be a waste of time? I am trying to keep the eggs clean and prevent breakage with this idea.

Do you switch to a gamebird layer feed, and if so, do you switch at around 5-6 weeks of age?

As far as feeding fruits, what kinds do you suggest? What shouldnt you feed? And do you keep health grit available at all times, even with a crumble feed? When i start feeding grains here and there i will definately keep grit available.

I am sure i will have more questions as time goes on, but until then, my flock is just rolling along and i cant wait to get some eggs and incubate them from my own flock!! And then maybe swap some with other members here to get good blood lines going, and no, i am not a scammer, i will follow through with all transactions!!

Take care and thanks in advance for the answers to my questions!!............Jason

Quote:
My coturnix babies say hello to their siblings
big_smile.png
hehe

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom