Quail very swollen foot!

Quailsducks33

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2020
Hello so I am fairly new to quail and first time having this issue.
My young girl about six months old developed what I thought was bumble foot in July. She did have a couple scabs but her foot was not swollen at that time.
I soaked her daily with Epsom salts, applied drawing salve,
etc.
by August her foot was very very swollen and hot to the touch and she could not walk on it. I really didn’t know if it was just a terrible bumble foot infection and so I sent some pictures to a local vet who said that he had treated lots of bumble and I made an appointment to bring her in.

upon seeing her he said it actually looked like maybe her foot was broken and wanted to do an x-ray but I cannot afford $500 for all of that.

We agreed to treat for infection and she has had two rounds of Baytril antibiotic (very strong) and Metacam anti-inflammatory so she’s been on that for two weeks.
She can walk on her foot now and does not appear to be in pain but it’s actually even more swollen. I have attached several pictures. Some people suggested gout - this is a possibility but it takes a long time to treat and have to switch her food to much lower protein.
Can anyone offer advice please? She has been eating and drinking and laying eggs all of this time.
have you experienced this?

Attachments

• C72F92A4-37AF-4A70-AF0E-BE3EC5F2ADD8.jpeg
    C72F92A4-37AF-4A70-AF0E-BE3EC5F2ADD8.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 52
  • 599D4B24-0F8E-44F9-AF97-6AFBDD0A8413.jpeg
    599D4B24-0F8E-44F9-AF97-6AFBDD0A8413.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 8
  • 563B1805-20A6-402E-BC76-022D1464EE05.jpeg
    563B1805-20A6-402E-BC76-022D1464EE05.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 7
  • E3ECAFE3-40CD-497A-B706-1AC08F703F11.jpeg
    E3ECAFE3-40CD-497A-B706-1AC08F703F11.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 10
  • FE86A60D-BDD6-4D65-9B5A-D5A341CB5E7D.jpeg
    FE86A60D-BDD6-4D65-9B5A-D5A341CB5E7D.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 8
This looks likebumble foot. I just searched about it on here, and found this for you :)
"
Here's a treatment, good for all birds, but mostly chicks and quail due to how much easier they are to hold during the process. I tried it, and it worked miraculously. My Quail's Bumblefoot was reduced in severity overnight.

What you'll need:
-Duramycin-10 Tetracycline Hydrochloride soluble powder. Available at most local feed stores.
-Water
-A large towel
-This requires at least two people.

Step 1. Gather your supplies, mix up the solution, and prepare your workspace. The solution does not have any specific measurements, just mix the soluble powder with the water in a cup, until you have a lump-free paste. Lay down the towel, to prevent spills from reaching the floor during the treatment.

Step 2. Get the affected bird, be sure to clean her feet if necessary, and bring her to the workspace. For birds that do not tolerate handling well, it's better to do this at night, when the bird is calmest. Make sure you have a tight grip on the bird, with feet exposed for the other person's convenience.

Step 3. Smother the affected foot/feet in a generous amount of paste, and set a timer to hold the bird for an extra ten to fifteen minutes to allow the paste to work it's magic. This may sound difficult, but hey, you get to cuddle with your sweet little feathered baby.
wink.png

After the time is up, wash the bird's feet and set her back down in her pen.

Repeat the process again, every night, until the bumblefoot appears to be gone, and then do at least one or two more treatments to ensure that it is completely gone."

Hope this helps :)

This looks likebumble foot. I just searched about it on here, and found this for you :)
"
Here's a treatment, good for all birds, but mostly chicks and quail due to how much easier they are to hold during the process. I tried it, and it worked miraculously. My Quail's Bumblefoot was reduced in severity overnight.

What you'll need:
-Duramycin-10 Tetracycline Hydrochloride soluble powder. Available at most local feed stores.
-Water
-A large towel
-This requires at least two people.

Step 1. Gather your supplies, mix up the solution, and prepare your workspace. The solution does not have any specific measurements, just mix the soluble powder with the water in a cup, until you have a lump-free paste. Lay down the towel, to prevent spills from reaching the floor during the treatment.

Step 2. Get the affected bird, be sure to clean her feet if necessary, and bring her to the workspace. For birds that do not tolerate handling well, it's better to do this at night, when the bird is calmest. Make sure you have a tight grip on the bird, with feet exposed for the other person's convenience.

Step 3. Smother the affected foot/feet in a generous amount of paste, and set a timer to hold the bird for an extra ten to fifteen minutes to allow the paste to work it's magic. This may sound difficult, but hey, you get to cuddle with your sweet little feathered baby.
wink.png

After the time is up, wash the bird's feet and set her back down in her pen.

Repeat the process again, every night, until the bumblefoot appears to be gone, and then do at least one or two more treatments to ensure that it is completely gone."

Hope this helps :)
Thank you, I’ve actually soaked her twice a day for several months. It has not helped and I’ve also applied PRID drawing salve & Vetricyn.

she has now had two rounds of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory and unfortunately still infected. it’s a very very severe case unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom