Quail with bumblefoot and dislocated toe

ArcticCuddlefish

Chirping
Jun 10, 2022
I wasn't able to find anything that quite addressed my problem, so new thread. I'll post pictures tomorrow when I check on her again to see how she's doing.

TL;DR: I have a young adult quail with a dislocated toe and mild bumblefoot on the mend. Am I gonna pull this poor baby's toe off putting it back in place?

Details:
I've got a 6 week old coturnix hen who got a small cut that became bumblefoot. We noticed it very early and started treating and it's been going fairly well. Swelling had reduced a lot, no black lump scabs anymore, healing nicely. She's been doing well enough that she got to spend the last two days out with the rest of the flock.

Tonight when we grabbed her for a soak and cleaning, we noticed she was lifting that foot extra high walking, and unwrapping it found that she appears to have a dislocated toe. It's been fine this whole while, but tonight it was very stiff and the little bone was bulging at the top of her foot, exacerbated if I tried to bend it a little bit. Needless to say, she doesn't want me touching it. It's a left toe, popped out up and left of where it should be. It needs to be pulled out and shifted back down into the heart of the swelling.

The swelling is back up because of it, but the bumblefoot isn't cured yet. I suspect that the swelling (and maybe also the bit of vetwrap between the toes?) caused it to pop out of joint after a rough flutter/landing (they have a tall ground pen). I can reduce the dislocation, but I'm worried I'll miss because of the swelling and the size of her toe. Perhaps my bigger concern - she's had a rough time with this foot, I REALLY don't wanna pull a toe off trying to deal with the swelling.

I never did remember to get these pictures, but we just wrapped it very carefully after treating bumblefoot and kept her apart from others for 2 weeks. Swelling went down, toe mostly went back to the right location and regained nearly all if its flexibility. Since she's not avoiding the foot at all and it's working fine, we're going to leave well enough alone and just keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom