quails lay without a male?

Quote:
Not coturnix. They just need good feed, adequate light and their sameness. They don't need a roo within a tri-state area.

I feed Purina Mills Game Bird Starter, 30% protein. I feed it from hatch to dispatch. Any game bird formula 24-30% (GBS) should be fine for laying coturnix hens. Not to be confused with high protein chicken feed, often sold in the big box want to be feed stores, or flock raiser...which is just high protein chicken feed.
It may take some time and effort to secure the proper feed, but it is time well spent. Please start at http://www.purinamills.com . They have a dealer locator on their sight, and any PM dealer can order it for you. I stress the word "CAN", that doesn't mean they will.

The one caveat with game bird feeder is that you'll want to suppliment calcium for laying, you can do this with oyster shell. I buy bulk cuttlebone off ebay.

Quote:
Unnecessary for coturnix, however adding calcium is great for their bones. Roos and hens alike.

A good quality GBS, proper lighting and perpetual sameness should get you coturnix eggs in about 5 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom