Quails not hatching?!?!?!?!????

hannahmcbain12

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 18, 2013
Rhode Island
Ok so I started 60 quail eggs in my incubator 18 days ago, and today is day 18, everything about the temps and humidity were/are great for now. Like they were at 45-55% humidity before day 14 at 100F and after day 14, I stopped turning and bumped the humidity to 65-75%. And now today is day 18 and I float tested them yesterday. About half of them sank and the other half floated just along the surface and some of them were moving. But today, nobody has hatched or pipped or made chirping sounds. I'm freaking out. What do I do now??? Any advice would be great

Wait a couple more days because sometimes they hatch late. Check your thermometer with 2 other ones to makes sure it's accurate.

You should never open the incubator after day 14. Its called lockdown because you keep the door closed from that point until you pull dry chicks out. Yesterday was they day were supposed to start hatching, the float test was a bad idea.

75% is a bit too high if it spiked past there too far for too long, it is possible the chicks drowned in their shell.

You may still have chicks hatch, but chalk this one up to learning and start some more eggs. Hatching is a skill it's takes time to get it down. Good luck, I hope you at least get a few to hatch.

Float testing after lockdown is usually used for late hatches. It's day 20 and you aren't sure if you should throw out the eggs even though none have hatched, Thats where late stage float testing is kind of ok, because you already have nothing to lose.

Back
Top Bottom