Quails on Ground

Quailgenes

Chirping
Jun 25, 2015
Indiana, US
So I finally realized trying to keep quail in the house is not feasible and I wanted them to live a semi natural life anyway. My plan now is to have them outside. I read a few post about them catching worms. I don't like chemical and I probably won't eat anything that come from them if I had to treat them like that. I'm also not dumb to think I can treat everything naturally. I was thinking about using an aviary maybe with non roaming pigeons. I do not like wire. It seems difficult but I wanted to have tall/semi tall grasses since they seem to like that type of habitat with places to hide. Oh the quail load will be small I want to try and get a pair bonded(Yes more difficulties to add to my endeavor)

How big of a problem is this?
Who has their chickens or quails living naturally?
What's a good compromise here?
Does Vern X work?
How would I treat the dirt?
Will I just have to live with trying to keep the dirt sterile(changing it yearly or heat treatment)?
If I tried a deep litter method instead would droppings and the stuff at the bottom at least compost hot enough to kill them?
Bugs(free protein) is out of the questions?

Last edited:
Figured I would get more views. Except a few differences don't see why deworming techniques wouldn't be the same. Just think of them as little chicken.

I have always kept my quail in aviaries with a litter floor. They have always thrived and have lived well into their 6th and 7th year of age. If you put a roof on the aviary and keep the rains out, the floor dry as possible, they will become immune to their environment and worms are not much of an issue. Giving them as much freedom and natural living space really makes for mentally and physically healthy birds

Last edited:
Thank you I will stop worrying. Just got to figure out what to do about the water freezing in winter then come up plans for a modular predator proof aviary.

Back
Top Bottom