Quails

Hey i'm new to BYC and was wandering how hard it is rasing quail
They aren't super hard to rais but you always have to make sure they have food and water. When they are really little make sure that the little quail can't drown in the water dishes. I am still in school and so that is one of my biggest problems. I feed and water them before I leave and then when I get home the water is empty. I have to get my mother to check on them for me. But as they get older they are easier to take care of.

you can use a larger volume water dispenser, like the quart size , just put a bunch of pebbles or pee gravel in it so they can drink but not drowned. I use the plastic jar and quail waterer found at TSC or any other feed or farm store. I never ran out but did clean it daily, as they get food and poop in it. I also ground up the stater feed a bit in a blender and gave chick starter grit as well.

Can someone please help? This pic is of my second batch hatchlings, went out 15 mins ago to feed and noticed I have 5 like this. The feathers on their back are completely gone down to skin and it is raw and this is the worst he's even bleeding some. I thought I had all roosters separated, so is this caused by them fighting or is this something more serious like a sickness?

Can someone please help? This pic is of my second batch hatchlings, went out 15 mins ago to feed and noticed I have 5 like this. The feathers on their back are completely gone down to skin and it is raw and this is the worst he's even bleeding some. I thought I had all roosters separated, so is this caused by them fighting or is this something more serious like a sickness?

Ouch! That looks like severe fighting to me. I've had females fight with other females before. If you haven't already, separate them immediately. There is a dark blue antibiotic spray you can buy to spray on the wound. It helps them heal, prevents infection & the dark blue color hides the red wound that the others cant help but peck at. Good luck!
Can chickens be housed with quail, if so what breed of quail. I have 2 rir, 2 br, 2 red star, 2 buff orp

I keep mine in the same coop as the chickens, but they're completely separated.

Back
Top Bottom