Quarantine for new birds

PulletSurpriseWinner

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Hi,
as you may know, I'm still pretty new to keeping chickens. I've been through all the books we have about chickens, and there's precious little about how to quarantine new birds. They all don't recommend it, and offer token advice for those of us who "insist".

We "broke the rules" and brought home a Speckled Sussex and a banty mix pullets. We felt bad for them, and they were sweet, so we bought 'em.

They're in a quarantine pen. They've been dusted with Sevin, along with their litter. They receive grower ration, and we've been offering them fruit and veggies. There are apparently no worms in their droppings.

We disinfect after handling either set of birds, or their things.

We know they need quarantine for a month. What else should we be doing? Do they need supplements, meds, or anything else?

Anyone who knows, please advise. We don't want to make our current hens, OR the newbies, ill!

Last edited:
sound like you have it covered. I would not medicate unless the newbies have symptoms. If they appear healthy through the thirty days then you have done what is humanly possible to protect your flock. The only other thing you could possibly do is have blood work done on the birds. That sounds like over kill to me though.

I'd give them a round of Sulmet for 3 days. This would take care of any cocci they might carry.

You might have to do this again once they are integrated with the other birds. If so, it need(ed) to be a month apart on the Sulmet; that's why when I bring birds home (seldom anymore) that I do the Sulmet first.

I always give them Ivermectin as well (broad spectrum wormer); whether I see anything or not.

Check and make sure they don't have scaly mites.

Quote:
THANK YOU. I'll follow your advice, and will post pics and updates of Pippa and Peewee.

Where is the best place to look for Sulmet and Invermectin?

I would tweak that a bit. I would personally not get Sulmet, but would try to get Corid. Sulmet is a sulfa drug and also treats Coryza, a bad carrier type respiratory disease. You do not want to treat anything respiratory while they are in quarantine. Corid is a thiamine blocker (concentrated amprolium) so won't cover symptoms you need to see if they have any respiratory illness they are carrying. Corid is easier on their gut than Sulmet is.

Good for you quarantining the birds! Remember, quarantine is not to treat illness (other than worms or lice/mites or something fungal), but to see if they have anything that could be detrimental to your flock and to keep them from ever entering the flock if they have anything contagious.

Back
Top Bottom