Quarantining new chicken

TinyUrbanFlock

Chirping
5 Years
May 3, 2018
Hello all,

I just picked up a 12 week old chick from a local(ish) farm to add to my current flock of 4, one year old chickens. I currently have her in a spare bedroom inside my house. I have separate shoes for her room, I clean her cage and feed her last, as well as try not to handle her or any of her stuff with the same clothes that I wear with my other chickens. She seems healthy, no discharge in the eyes or nose, no mites, no breathing issues. Poop seems okay (typical baby poop I guess) and very active and bright eyed. If everything goes well and she comes out of quarantine
My question is this: what diseases/contagions could she have that could be passed to my chickens after the initial 30 day quarantine? Should I be treating both her and my flock with any preventatives before introduction? If so, what should I be treating for?

Thanks!

It is possible your flock has immunity to something they could give her. It's possible she has an immunity to something she could give them. If they are immune to it they probably won't show anything no matter how well they are quarantined. I don't want to unduly frighten you about that, the odds are really good that nothing serious will happen, but there is some risk.

I would not pre-treat without cause, it just goes against the grain to treat unnecessarily and help pathogens build up immunity to treatments. If you are that concerned you can talk to a vet about getting a fecal sample tested, mainly for worms or coccidiosis. Those are probably your biggest threats.

It is possible your flock has immunity to something they could give her. It's possible she has an immunity to something she could give them. If they are immune to it they probably won't show anything no matter how well they are quarantined. I don't want to unduly frighten you about that, the odds are really good that nothing serious will happen, but there is some risk.

I would not pre-treat without cause, it just goes against the grain to treat unnecessarily and help pathogens build up immunity to treatments. If you are that concerned you can talk to a vet about getting a fecal sample tested, mainly for worms or coccidiosis. Those are probably your biggest threats.

I see...so its just a gamble we take when adding to the flock. What should I be watching the new girl for specially? She's been vaccinated against Mareks, as have my other chickens.

A respiratory disease, coughing, sneezing, liquid discharge, etc.

General behavior. If she stand around fluffed up, hunched down, and looking miserable she is sick. It could be many different things but coccidiosis for a new chicken is at the top of my list.

I never bring home outside birds, only day-olds from good hatcheries. The worst things that could arrive with a new bird, IMO, would be Marek's disease or Mycoplasma. There are fairly good tests for both, worth considering, if you are going to bring home outside birds. Your veterinarian, and/ or your state vet lab, will have help here.
Mites, lice, and intestinal parasites can all be brought in, but are easy to manage.
Mary

I am more worried about introducing a single bird to an established flock. That can be tricky.

I would suggest adding a bird from your flock to the single bird. That will tell you if either has something that will effect the other or the flock. They will duke it out, but after a while it should settle down. Might be days. Then introduce the pair to the flock if everything stays in good health.

I am not tolerant enough to have a chicken in my spare bedroom, the dust will be awful.

Good luck.

MRs k

I am more worried about introducing a single bird to an established flock. That can be tricky.

I would suggest adding a bird from your flock to the single bird. That will tell you if either has something that will effect the other or the flock. They will duke it out, but after a while it should settle down. Might be days. Then introduce the pair to the flock if everything stays in good health.

I am not tolerant enough to have a chicken in my spare bedroom, the dust will be awful.

Good luck.

MRs k
Haha yes the dust is a pain, I vacuum in there daily. She will eventually only be living with one other bird. My flock is split because the big gals were picking on the bantam....which is why I bought her a friend (and because chicken math).

Back
Top Bottom