Question about after Coccidiosis and rehoming chicks to new flock/ introducing new chicks to coop

Chey1214

Songster
May 4, 2023
My chicks had cocci and I treated them accordingly, they are on the vitamin replacement portion right now of treatment. If I rehome some chicks will they infect the other birds or are they safe to rehome them now?

Also one of my chicks is limping and I read this is common after corid because of vitamin deficiency. I have rooster booster out for them but should I specifically give this one nutri drench orally and for how long? Her legs seemed intact no sign of broken bone no bumble foot. How long should I administer nutri drench? I’m only giving her 4 drops orally because she’s a peanut.

Also… how long does ammonia need to sit in the coop to kill the cocci? I just brought back one of my milli flur and he now has bloody stool but I put the ammonia in the cage and cleaned all the feeders with ammonia. (I was going to give him prevention dosage before I released him) now I’m giving him treatment….

Can you help me with some math? If 2tsp of liquid corid go in a gallon, how much would I put in a liter? I know this is probably easy I just literally can’t think when it comes to math lol!

Thanks all! I know your probably sick of cocci/corid questions

I would not use ammonia in the coop.
Coccidia are found in the poop and the soil, you won't eradicate it. Keeping feed and water stations clean, picking up excess droppings and keeping bedding fairly dry can go a long way in preventing outbreaks.
Once chickens are exposed to the strains of Coccidia found in their environment, they can build resistance.

Please provide a link to the article/blog/thread where you read that it's common for chick(en)s to limp after being treated with Corid.
Corid is a synthetic B1 (Thiamine) blocker and is only given for a very short period of time (5-7days). Really there should be no deficiency. Feed has B1 in it, so it's not like they are going completely without B1 during treatment.

Limping can be due to a number of things from disease like Marek's, to injury to B2(Riboflavin) deficiency. If you feel you are trying to treat some type of deficiency that is causing limping, then get a bottle of B-Complex at your local Walmart, CVS, etc. and give her 1/4 tablet daily. Poultry Nutri-Drench does not contain B2(Riboflavin).

It's possible that your chicks can bring a different strain of Coccidia to their new home and the existing birds need to be treated. It's possible that the existing flock has a strain that your chicks have not encountered and they will need to be treated.
No way to know.
It would be extremely wise of whomever takes in new chick(en)s to quarantine them for several weeks for observation for disease or any other issues that may arise. This gives a first initial assessment, the second would come once the birds are integrated, there's always a risk of something cropping up once birds are put together - this is a risk that just about everyone will take unless they keep a closed flock and practice very good biosecurity.

Just mix your Corid by the gallon and fill your water station with it.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

My chicks had cocci and I treated them accordingly, they are on the vitamin replacement portion right now of treatment. If I rehome some chicks will they infect the other birds or are they safe to rehome them now?

Also one of my chicks is limping and I read this is common after corid because of vitamin deficiency. I have rooster booster out for them but should I specifically give this one nutri drench orally and for how long? Her legs seemed intact no sign of broken bone no bumble foot. How long should I administer nutri drench? I’m only giving her 4 drops orally because she’s a peanut.

Also… how long does ammonia need to sit in the coop to kill the cocci? I just brought back one of my milli flur and he now has bloody stool but I put the ammonia in the cage and cleaned all the feeders with ammonia. (I was going to give him prevention dosage before I released him) now I’m giving him treatment….

Can you help me with some math? If 2tsp of liquid corid go in a gallon, how much would I put in a liter? I know this is probably easy I just literally can’t think when it comes to math lol!

Thanks all! I know your probably sick of cocci/corid questions

Back
Top Bottom