Question about Ameraucana genetics!

Thank you so much! Great to know!!!
Thanks for the advice. That sounds very tempting! I would love to see photos of your Ameraucanas! How many did you order and how many pullets and cockerels did you end up with? I worry what we would do with all the roosters we'd end up with! We're having such a hard time rehoming the ones we have now. We don't have the heart to end their lives and one of them recently attacked my little girl
sad.png
What do you do with the ones you can't sell?
Eat them or give them away to someone who will treat them humanely on their way to the stew pot!

Thank you so much! Great to know!!!
Thanks for the advice. That sounds very tempting! I would love to see photos of your Ameraucanas! How many did you order and how many pullets and cockerels did you end up with? I worry what we would do with all the roosters we'd end up with! We're having such a hard time rehoming the ones we have now. We don't have the heart to end their lives and one of them recently attacked my little girl
sad.png
What do you do with the ones you can't sell?
Someone close by has Am from John Blehm. They have Lav, black, & silver. Maybe others I can't remember. Our area is quickly becoming over run with them. Or in other words every time someone sees them, they always know where they came from. I do hope to get more even though for some reason they never contact me back after the first 2 I got.
hu.gif
(Alicia, if you see this, I would love to get more of your birds!)
fl.gif

They are beautiful. And the biggest birds I currently have. They also are nicely calm, much different than ANY of my hatchery birds! Not perfect genetics per se'. But I think lav is a difficult gene. Even if you get your birds from the Blehm blood line, not all will be breeder quality. Some people don't understand that you still HAVE to pick the BEST of the BEST!

We eat our extras. But you might be able to give them away to a humane stew pot. Very few people will want the extra roos. When I worked at the zoo, some people donated theirs' to become part of the circle of life. If one attacked my little girl... it would be lights out. You need to disclose that if you are able to rehome to ensure it doesn't endanger another child! But we do not process our birds out of anger. It's simply for us about not supporting the appalling chicken industry and understanding that ALL of life is connected. Just sharing with you, not intending to be preachy or anything like that. I wonder if you might get someone to process your extras for you?

Good luck!

Someone close by has Am from John Blehm. They have Lav, black, & silver. Maybe others I can't remember. Our area is quickly becoming over run with them. Or in other words every time someone sees them, they always know where they came from. I do hope to get more even though for some reason they never contact me back after the first 2 I got. :confused:  (Alicia, if you see this, I would love to get more of your birds!) :fl

They are beautiful. And the biggest birds I currently have. They also are nicely calm, much different than ANY of my hatchery birds! Not perfect genetics per se'. But I think lav is a difficult gene. Even if you get your birds from the Blehm blood line, not all will be breeder quality. Some people don't understand that you still HAVE to pick the BEST of the BEST!

We eat our extras. But you might be able to give them away to a humane stew pot. Very few people will want the extra roos. When I worked at the zoo, some people donated theirs' to become part of the circle of life. If one attacked my little girl... it would be lights out. You need to disclose that if you are able to rehome to ensure it doesn't endanger another child! But we do not process our birds out of anger. It's simply for us about not supporting the appalling chicken industry and understanding that ALL of life is connected. Just sharing with you, not intending to be preachy or anything like that. I wonder if you might get someone to process your extras for you?

Good luck!

Thank you. We sold the offending rooster yesterday and I was totally honest about his agression. I even gave the guy a discount because of it. He didn't mind at all.

Hope he wasn't cock fighting.
hmm.png

Or breeding for that matter! Aggression does breed forward.
hu.gif

Glad you don't have to worry about it anymore.
smile.png
Thanks. I don't think so. I asked a bunch of questions and he seemed like he just genuinely wanted a rooster to protect his six hens.

Back
Top Bottom