question about coloring

araminta37

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
ok have this white, and mixed colored roo, his dad is the 2nd picture, mom is a red sexlink. question is how he came to be white?

Most likely there is the white color in one of the bird's genetics.
Agreed, and it looks like a male Red Sex-Link. I'm guessing that maybe the mixed-breed cock has two barring genes, the female contributed one solid gene, similar to a Red Sex-Link cross, though not the same. I'm not an expert on feather genetics, but that'd be my guess. Have any pics of what he looked like as a chick?

Most likely there is the white color in one of the bird's genetics.
Agreed, and it looks like a male Red Sex-Link. I'm guessing that maybe the mixed-breed cock has two barring genes, the female contributed one solid gene, similar to a Red Sex-Link cross, though not the same. I'm not an expert on feather genetics, but that'd be my guess. Have any pics of what he looked like as a chick?
I agree with both of the above posts.

The rooster father has only one barring gene, he's a black sex link or similar.

Your red sex link hen carries genes for silver or white, that's how her male offspring came to be white. red sex links often throw red and white chicks regardless of who they're mated to.

The rooster father has only one barring gene, he's a black sex link or similar.

Your red sex link hen carries genes for silver or white, that's how her male offspring came to be white. red sex links often throw red and white chicks regardless of who they're mated to.

As usual donrae has a great explanation of the genetics of your white rooster. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom